fuel issue

kingskid7

Cadet
no fuel flow reaching my 115hp mercury outboard installed new 24 gallon poly fuel tank next check will be fuel tank pickup for possible clogging. engine runs on smaller fuel tank also rebuilt fuel pump any help please. kingskid7:)

kingskid7

Cadet
there is no fuel getting to the primer bulb at all. I am checking the tank pickup tomorrow. thanks, kingkid7

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The pick up can get plugged, some plastic tanks can have plastic and other stuff in them when new. Primer bulbs are a common problem too, even new the may not work correctly.

kingskid7

Cadet
tomorrow hopefully I will check the tank fuel pickup. do you know what size fuel line I should be using with a 1984 115hp mercury? I am using about 12 feet of 3/8'' inch low permeation fuel line to the mercury fuel filter. I have a short piece of line then the bulb with a short to the fuel connector. I am also replacing the valves in the bulb if necessary. thanks, dan ps I appreciate the help you have given me. thanks again

kingskid7

Cadet
there is no fuel getting to the primer bulb, please read my previous post. thanks, kingskid7

kingskid7

Cadet
I wish someone could me what diameter fuel line I have to use for a 1984 115 hp I am using a 3/8 low perm now . motor starts on starting fluid. could it be that I have to use 1/4 or 5/16'' inch diameter fuel line I am not sure. thanks, kingskid7
​7

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are you using a different bulb on the second tank?

3/8" is fine.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Do you hear a kind of sucking sound from the fuel lines/fittings while trying to use the primer bulb?
Might be a simple air leak preventing you from pulling fuel up faster than it siphons back into the tank.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Make sure the arrow on the bulb is pointing toward the motor. Also hold the bulb vertical with the arrow pointing up while pumping.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The diameter of the fuel line only comes into play on larger motors that suck down a great deal of fuel when running at high RPMs, for starting or low speed it makes no difference what the diameter is. And 3/8 is fine.

Disconnect it from the tank and blow through the line.

kingskid7

Cadet
what is the best way to check for air leaks in my carbs and fuel line leaks. I hear air leaking but I can not isolate it with just the bulb created pressure.
any help would be appreciated. thanks, kingskid7

kingskid7

Cadet
new attwood primer bulb does not work correctly bought new seasense bulb works great, issued solved. thanks, kingskid7