96 suzuki dt8 or older OMC 9.9?

nabiul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Which would you go for assuming same price, because that's what I'm looking at locally; mostly old merc blue stripes and OMC's from 70's and 80's.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If both have tons of spare parts availability and the Suzuki happens to work with car type round thermostats, would preffer Suzuki all the way. Evi's of that era works with real prehistoric multi piece thermostat units, if OB is used on salt waters and not flushed after or at all while on continous use, thermo can fail badly and OB overheat.

Happy Boating

nabiul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got the suzuki; motors seem to be even more overpriced than usual this year and slim pickings. Some minor corrosion and paint bubbling on the power head has me concerned but I won't know until I get her out in the water when this cold spell passes.

Anyone know if the dt8 uses the same block as the 9.9?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
When buying second hand portable motors you should retorque all powerhead bolts, specially the cylinder head back to factory specs specially if you see white lines between gasket and both mating surfaces.

The 6 should be same CC as the 8 and 9.9 same as the 15 HP.

Happy Boating

nabiul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm guessing the 8 to 9.9 is a carb or restrictor plate diff and 9.9 to 15 would be more components?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A matter to check Sizuki 8-15 HP tech specs. In other 2 strokes OB brands, can't pass a 6-8 to a 9.9, are different CC powerheads. 9.9 & 15 are usually same powerheads with some form of timing advance, carb model, carb restrictor plate or a combination of more than one restriction.

Happy Boating