Yamaha questions

I'm considering a purchase of a 2004 yamaha vxtlrb 225. What is the reputation of these motors? Dependable? Frequent problems? Thanks for any info

bassman284

Commander
Well you're getting no answers so I'll throw one in. I know nothing about this particular motor but Yamaha generally has a good reputation. I have a 2002 Mercury 9.9 which has a Yamaha powerhead. It has served me well for almost 14 years.

Slow Ride

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 2 ox66 200hp engines. They run well and have few problems. Admittedly, I don't run them real hard for long periods of time but at least once a day I open them up to 5500rpms and "let them eat!" They are getting on down the road a bit in age and parts are sometimes needed to be ordered, but otherwise, I have about 800 hours on one and about 350 on a rebuild on the other. I like them so much I recently had a chance to upgrade to 2009 250 4 strokes for about 20K and passed because I could not justify the expense based on current engine performance. You will love it!

Awesome, so far I love it. Good to hear that your getting a lot of hours out of them. I need it to last a while. If you don't mind me asking, what was the ball park figure on the rebuild? I went through a blown up motor with another boat that I had. Evinrude ficht injection, it was going to run me about $5500 to have it rebuilt. I couldn't justify that so I sold the entire boat/motor/trailer for what I could get out of it.