Dearest Outboard Squad - teach me how to identify a Mariner!

superninja

Seaman Apprentice
Dearest Outboard Squad - teach me how to identify a Mariner with only a serial number. I have every shop manual in my dad's shop on every engine ever built. But there is no diagram to match my serial number with a model, any specific HP or year range, even cylinders, even stroke, even the gear ratio? Why hasn't anyone gotten on to google docs/ spreadsheets & just filled out a whole reference of specs on every outboard for the sake of our sanity? I would PAY you $10,000 if you could type up such a diagram. It would save my life, literally. Here is the scope of specs I got from this engine, after endless hours every day, endless weeks and months of researching. Please help me find specs to help cross reference what other engines this lower unit will go to? I'll stop bothering you guys if you send me somewhere where I have a highly detailed outboard spec system on a spreadsheet, which boats.net and any other website you'll direct me to, It still takes me hours to get all the details I need, and I honestly don't know where you people found the enormous volume of storage capacity in your brains to store every model and every engine, in your brains. I simply don't have this much room in my brain for 300 shop manuals. There is no decent book on specs either, only endless pages of troubleshooting but nothing about details of the engine for someone like me. I just take the engines apart. and sell the parts. Is this even a Mariner?
MERCURY MARINER LOWER UNIT 40-50HP 20" SERIAL# A 925633

Attachments

• photo234899.jpg
    photo234899.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
You may already know that most early Mariners are Yamahas perhaps if you search From the Yamaha side.
Perhaps if you look up props for the Yamaha and Mariner there may be a point or year that they do or don't use the same prop.
Perhaps there is even a year when Merc and Mariner share gear cases.At one point they put Merc gear cases on the Force motors.
Perhaps that information might give you a starting point.
Parts books would surely have numbers that may pin down what parts fit what motor/year.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Mercury is black mariner is gray that is the difference except for the yamaha built mariner. The yamaha built mariner says made in japan. The lower unit you have looks to be a mercury built lower. Serial # comes up as 50-60 hp 3 Cyl mercury/mariner not yamaha. I could not find the year call the dealer they can help you. Correct serial number to look up is 0A925633