Incompatible Trim Gauge

JW Camp

Cadet
I recently purchased a '97 Johnson 90hp to go on my 25' pontoon. This Motor came with a trim function. My boat has a trip guage in the dash. The boat dealer when installed my new motor, told me that the trim guage on my boat is not compatible with my Motor thus I have no trim guage. I have to check visually my trim. Was he full of it, or what?

Help.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Moved this from a Mercruiser thread. The only thing in common with the original thread and your question is trim gauge. Please look at the Help Tip on top of the page.

Is your original trim gauge incompatible with a Johnson? What powered the pontoon before the switch over to a Johnson OB?

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Trim gauge senders for some outboard brands work opposite those of others with resistance going up as engine raises rather than down and vice versa. If wrong trim gauge installed it will read opposite what it should. Only real thing to be aware of when purchasing a gauge set other than whether for outboard or inboard. Suggest you hook up the existing trim gauge and see if functions. If works but in opposite direction than should, then just purchase gauge for Johnson/Evinrude outboard. If doesn't work at all, then there is something wrong with your sender, wiring, or the gauge.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Trim gauges are not very useful, IMO. Trimming by sound and feel of the motor is a lot more useful, and accurate.

The good news is that a water pressure gauge is usually the same cut-out size as the trim gauge. Water pressure is a lot more important, IMO.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Trim gauges are not very useful, IMO. Trimming by sound and feel of the motor is a lot more useful, and accurate.

The good news is that a water pressure gauge is usually the same cut-out size as the trim gauge. Water pressure is a lot more important, IMO.

Well I am one that finds a trim gauge very useful in that I don't have to guess by looking how much my motor is trimmed up or down and can keep one eye on what is ahead of me while looking at the gauge. Chris is right in that you use sound and feel to get to the best trim point, but that doesn't always mean the point where boat is fastest. By referencing the gauge for various trim angles, you can always return to that same spot quickly and accurately without having to look to the rear. I have about 5 trim angles I reference on my gauge depending on what is needed and can easily trim to any one of them. These points include top and bottom limits, fastest, fastest on plane from trolling speed without prop ventilating, and point where nice balance between speed and engine noise.

My .02 anyway

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The only use I find for a trim gauge is in situations where you can't see the engine and you are docking, launching, retrieving and water depth is an issue. Otherwise, unless the boat is loaded exactly the same every trip, there is no one or two trim settings that fits all conditions. This is where seat of the pants and the tach come into play and you don't have to take your eyes off straight ahead. Trim gauges can also have varying resistances so reverse operation is only one of the issues between engine manufacturers.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say I had no use for a trim gauge as well. I could easily tell when I had the engine trimmed out correctly by the actual feel for the boat and steering. And every situation can be different. So a trim gauge is just another eye candy for some. One less thing that can go wrong that will need fixed. When you run your boat long enough, you will know when it is running at its best after a while. JMHO!