#1 4 stroke outboard

#1 4 stroke outboard

• Total voters

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wanna know what the best four stroke motors are from ppl with experience.
Am looking from 20hp - 35hp range.
Please give reason why or why not!!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Hard to tell, it's a matter of personal choice. If happy and have had no nightmare issues with any given OB brand will surely keep sticking with same brand..Tohatsu manufactures OB's for Merc, Evinrude, Nissan at their Japan plant in the 20-30 HP portable range. All posted brands are Japanese made well made to last and give minimum trouble provided that they receive a spot on maintenance service. So up to you which brand you like and trust most..

Happy Boating

jbcurt00

Staff member
Chevy v Dodge v Ford (alphabetical order)

Sales data (# of units per year) can probably be found on online, but even if you find out which one sells the most units annually, other brands will have a loyal following, regardless of sales volume.

I recommend buying a motor (or boat) based on access to a dealer. A good shop, close to where you live or boat, would be very high on my list of determining what motor to buy.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep, a trustable dealer near you is key when selecting any Jap brand OB in that 4 strokes range. If mechanically skilled and know what you're doing pick the brand of your personal choice or the one you have enough experince with when fingering it. Seems Tohatsu wins all other OB's manufacturers, 300,00 units produced last year including own and re badged other brands combined.

Happy Boating

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
It's a matter of personal choice, I have a 2007 Merc 5hp and a 1992 Honda 2hp...never had a issue with either. Quiet, both sip fuel.

tommarvin

Ensign
When I was at fisherman's terminal in Seattle I took an outboard motor count, I saw the same outboard motor cowling over and over the whole time I walked around.

I didn't see ONE other cowling the whole walk, Every cowling was a Yamaha, Must say I was shocked.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Manufacturing good reliable products, easy to work on, good sales distributors with skilled and trustable mechanics + a well gained reputation brand name through the years along happy customers really counts.

Happy Boating

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well guys I'm going with the 2016 20hp Suzuki
Local dealer just started dealing them, so decided to give it a try!!:)

82rude

Rear Admiral
When I was at fisherman's terminal in Seattle I took an outboard motor count, I saw the same outboard motor cowling over and over the whole time I walked around.

I didn't see ONE other cowling the whole walk, Every cowling was a Yamaha, Must say I was shocked.

Yes when I was out west in Victoria .bc.I saw tons of Yamaha and Suzuki outboards. I rented a Yamaha 50 hp and boat for some salmon fishing from oak bay marine group and all they had were 40 and 50 hp Yamaha,s by the dozens.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Yamaha seams to cost twice as much as any other brand, especially in the used market. Maybe there is a reason?!. I went with a Tohatsu for several reasons, cant go wrong with Japan products cost, warranty, shaft length, ultra long, and accessories, not many bad reviews. Seemed like a no brainer ...