Motor controversy

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
15hp Honda or 15hp Evinrude Etec and why?

Last edited by a moderator:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The Etec is a purpose built motor as a kicker motor not a portable motor at 177 lbs.It is a detuned 25.
it has electric start and trim and tilt. Direct injection 2 stroke motor .It is not mentioned on their site.
Etec now has a portable line up of motors from Tohatsu.
Honda is a 4 stroke with an excellent reputation. At 103 lbs I guess it is portable.

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What about the Etec 30hp?
I really wanted a Honda but people are always reselling those around here so I figured maybe they have a problem of some kind? I have never seen an Etec advertised and have heard great reviews about them.
My problem is, around here we have 3 lakes within 45 miles. 2 of them have unlimited hp, and the best 1 has a 20hp limit.
But some1 told me Etec doesn't make a 20 and I dnt really want a 15 on my heavy Blue Fin

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Being a 4 stroke the Honda has many more moving parts. 3 pistons,3 rods 6 valves,and a camshaft.
Speaking very basically the Etec 30 has 5 moving parts.2 pistons,2 rods, and a crank.
Both standard motors are essentially the same weight. All that said they are both good motors.

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So the only difference for me would be the Etec is a 2 stroke & does not come at 20hp?
I want a 4 stroke and 20hp so guess I'll go with Honda then. Thanks for the exp.!!

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can't beat a Honda for reliability. I was a Honda service tech for 42 yrs. I have had several ...never a problem. Of course idiots can find a way to ruin anything! You won't be disappointed!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Motors choices seem to be a bit regional. Locally, Yamaha out numbers evrything else by a wide margin although Honda is catching up. I can count the number of E-tec I've seen on one hand. No one wants to pour $40 a gallon oil in the tank every time they go out

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The Etec and any Direct injection 2 stroke can be programed to use any good brand of oil so $40 a gallon isn't even close to what will work perfectly fine.
I think that the outboards we see in our boating area depend directly on the successful dealer in that area.We summered near Fishers Landing
on the St. Lawrence, didn't range too far up or down river.H Chalk and son sold Evinrudes very successfully until OMC went belly up.
So there was a heavy concentration of OMC stuff in our area.They went with Yamaha until Etec appeared.

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Both are great motors I also would go with a good dealer and warranty locally do your research. I have an e-tec love it I will say this about them they are cheaper on oil than a 4 stroke is. Here is why my friends 4 strk oil changes are ridiculously expensive. My e-tec does not even use $40 of oil in a year and I use it moderately and it is set for the better oil. Also I bet the e-tec will outrun the honda even with the hp difference and you can make the e-tec lighter by not getting tilt and trim and electric start that will probably shave #50 or more off of it. Both great motors but overall I think the e-tec is cheaper to own. Y

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have an e-tec love it I will say this about them they are cheaper on oil than a 4 stroke is. Here is why my friends 4 strk oil changes are ridiculously expensive. My e-tec does not even use $40 of oil in a year and I use it moderately and it is set for the better oil. Both great motors but overall I think the e-tec is cheaper to own. Y
Its a matter of scale. Your friends 4 stroke oil changes may seem ridiculously expense when you use less than 25 gallons of fuel a year. When you use three times that amount in a day, those ridiculously expense oil changes look cheap in comparison.

Filled the boat up Saturday for an upcoming fishing trip this week. It took 115 gallons of fuel ($270.25) and 2.5 gallons of oil ($62) in the oil tank. If we don't have to run too far to find fish, that will last me two trips.

Now multiply that by 20-25 trips a year and that expensive, once a year, $75 in materials (oil and filter) and 1/2 hour labor (free) don't look quite as expensive as they used too.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I will stand by my comment as my friend has a 70 hp johnson 4 stroke mine is a 75 e-tec mine is still cheaper to own. Gas mileage is similiar I think the e-tec is a little better. Service is where he suffers. Depending how many hrs a year he puts on more than one oil change and the valves adjusted everything being checked is well over $75. If you are putting that many trips on I wonder how many hrs you are putting on seems like a lot. Also if you look at a lot of the manuals it says change the oil after so many hrs or months of storage so technically twice a year. I also don't have to deal with the mess of changing the oil. Since most people don't do it themselves trust me they are not getting away with $75 dollar oil changes. I just did the math on your motor You are running 50-.1 My 1986 VRO 70 hp runs at that mix and my E-TEC runs much leaner than that at least by half never really figured it out. I fill my E-TEC once in fall and my VRO twice once in fall and in the middle of summer.

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Both are good motors should be pleased with either one, that said...how is the motor going to be run should be given serious considerstion. If you plan on doing a lot of wot running then the Etec would be my first choice. If you are planning a lot of mid range to slow running then the Honda. The reason is...4 stroke engines are not designed for continuous wot operation were a 2 stroke is designed for long continous wot operation. A 4 stroke will shorten its life considerably with long term wot operation as a lot of new 4 stroke owners have found. Being a smaller motor I would be concerned about how much wot operation it will get.