Fuel filters

Macca1500s

Seaman Apprentice
hi I'm asking this here as its not brand specific, can any one enlighten me as to when looking for a cartridge type spin on filter there are ones advertised for Merc and another for OMC.

physical there seems no external difference.

my mechanic fitted a Merc cartridge to my Johnson outboard, as they are inexpensive should i swap it for an OMC???

thanks for your help

macca

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The Merc spin on water separator cartridges have a different threaded fitting than the OMC spin on water separator cartridges. If you look at both side-by-side it is obvious that they do not interchange. Also, there is no difference in the filtering action. if you are running a Merc version, you will either need to change the fitting or continue to run the Merc cartridges.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am sure there are differences between fuel/water separator filters, but oil type filter probably not. It is like Fram and Purolator. Different manufactures for the same engine.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The Merc spin on water separator cartridges have a different threaded fitting than the OMC spin on water separator cartridges.
Yep, size threads 3/4" vs. 1" if I remember correctly.

Both companies make filter interchangeable with the other brand. I run Racor filters on my OMC

Macca1500s

Seaman Apprentice
kool thanks

I've done the research and there was an article in Boating mag about filters, very helpful.

as I'm just trying to come to grips with outboards I'm trying to make sure I'm doing it right.

ive had some issues with rubbish in the fuel tank and want to replace the filter.
i was concerned that maybe the fuel pump function was different between the two motors and that i could be hurting mine with the Merc style filter

thanks again to all who responded, its appreciated