Help me make a go/nogo decision

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
A seller on craigslist has a 50hp engine listed for sale or trade. He's asking $400 cash if no trade. The listing has been there awhile and the price has been dropping.

I wouldn't lay out cash money for this particular motor but I do have a couple things that I could trade and which cost me essentially zero. However, I don't want to give up something of value and end up with something worthless. The seller is about 40 miles from me as well, so in order to put eyeballs on the thing I'd have to make a trip.

Pro - seller will take trades. Has a stainless prop.

Con - seller says it runs but needs a starter. Doesn't have TNT which is something I'd prefer. Seems to be in rough condition. No idea on how well it runs. A new starter would cost anywhere from $60 to $120 plus shipping & taxes.

This is the only pic of the engine. Looks to be about late 70s or early 80s maybe?

Recommendations please! :joyous:

merc50.jpg

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Likely will need lots of TLC. Too pricey.....I'd walk away unless you need a make work project. Early to mid 70's

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
is that the prop you need? is that the hp your want? Have you looked on ebay?
I just bought a motor that was on it's way to the scrap yard. Paid $200 for it because Mr Bonehead needs it for parts!!! :laugh:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Likely will need lots of TLC. Too pricey.....I'd walk away unless you need a make work project. Early to mid 70's
Thanks for the reply. There's just "something" about the look of the motor that made me leery. Like it had been neglected or abused or something. And I absolutely have no use for another work project of any type! :lol:

is that the prop you need? is that the hp your want? Have you looked on ebay?
I just bought a motor that was on it's way to the scrap yard. Paid $200 for it because Mr Bonehead needs it for parts!!! :laugh:
The motor would be for my Kingfisher, the link to my project is in my signature. Right now I have a very reliable 8hp Johnson tiller motor on the boat and it's fine for basic fishing where I live. It'll do for now so I have no rush to hurry up and get a different motor. But I will eventually upgrade.

The boat is rated for 50hp max and my original plan has been to eventually get a nice Merc 50 with TNT but if I could get a decent workable engine for just a few bucks out of pocket, then I could be flexible.

But how would I get it running with no starter? Can't even check compression or spark without being able to turn the motor over. Right? :noidea:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
does the motor come with controls? starter could just need brushes, or a complete replacement.

looks like early 70's

the paint coming off the cowl would be considered normal wear over the last 45 years. the motor is not a spring chicken. however if the compression is good, $400 is not a bad price if it comes with the stainless prop and controlls.

64osby

Admiral
If it had controls it is a slight maybe for me. You could part it out and break even or make money if the motor wasn't sound.

It shows a lack of care. Not having a working starter makes it a tough purchase because you can't test the compression.

Personally I don't want to replace pistons and mess with all the related items and issues.

I also don't have to worry about salty motors.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
does the motor come with controls? starter could just need brushes, or a complete replacement.

looks like early 70's

the paint coming off the cowl would be considered normal wear over the last 45 years. the motor is not a spring chicken. however if the compression is good, $400 is not a bad price if it comes with the stainless prop and controlls.
Got this from the ad: "...wiring harness, control box, and 2 control cables included..."

Would that old engine have a rope pull option? My shoulder couldn't take the effort but maybe the seller could yank on the cord so that I could measure compression and maybe start the thing.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if it doesnt have a recoil, it will have a pull rope under the front cover to wrap onto the flywheel.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Okay guys, thanks for the help. I"m gonna pass on this one. Just too "iffy" for me. I don't need a parts motor, I need a reliable functioning motor.

Thanks again! :joyous:

..... I need a reliable functioning motor.

I'm always amused by people selling boats or engines who say it's in great shape, but it ONLY needs xxxx and it's an easy fix. If the repair were so easy and inexpensive then why the heck don't they do it themselves?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I'm always amused by people selling boats or engines who say it's in great shape, but it ONLY needs xxxx and it's an easy fix. If the repair were so easy and inexpensive then why the heck don't they do it themselves?
Exactly!

I contacted a guy about a boat only to find out that the bow had been crushed by a large tree limb. Told him I'd pass. He got all upset and was trying to convince me that with a porta-power and a couple guys that the repair would be simple. And that the 40 y.o. missing windshield and other parts were cheap and easy to find on craigslist or ebay! Why, with a fresh coat of paint it would be worth just as much as a brand new $50,000 boat!

Yeahhh... right. :pound:

What made me really leery about the Merc outboard was the fact that it had been listed for sale for a long time and the price kept dropping but nobody snapped it up. Like folks had gone out and taken a look and walked away.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
for only 40 miles, I would hop in the car and look myself. maybe offer 300. then again I drive 50 miles to work in heavy traffic every day.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Although it is a Mercury and even old ones hold their value, from what I can see that is not a 400 buck engine. Wiring on old mercs tends to flake insulation and need replacement. Trading something of value is simply not an option. Run, Forrest, Run!

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Does that particular motor have the notches in the flywheel to do emergency pull starting with? If so maybe it is possible to do a semi-respectable compression and spark test? I mean if you were able to pull that off maybe the results would justify offering $300 or $350 (assuming the prop is good and the lower unit is as well).

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Thanks again for all the input, guys. As I said in Post #10 above, I've already decided to pass on this one based on the input here.

So we can let this thread fade awayyyyyy...... :ghost:

Thanks again! :joyous:

So we can let this thread fade awayyyyyy......

Nope, not gonna' happen. Boating season is coming to an end (at least for those of you in the frozen north) and thousands of boaters are sitting at their keyboards with nothing else to do.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Nope, not gonna' happen. Boating season is coming to an end (at least for those of you in the frozen north) and thousands of boaters are sitting at their keyboards with nothing else to do.
Bwaaa haaa haaa!!

And I don't consider central FL to be the frozen north! :lol:

Tomorrow I work on my boat and on Sunday we go fishing again! Starting to be the best time of year to get out there! :fish2:

I saw another motor for sale that is much better for $400. A 40hp Merc (no TNT) that runs good and the seller is willing to fire it up for a demo. He just bought a bigger motor with TNT and that's the only reason he's selling. Alas, I really do want a 50 with TNT unless I can get something for free.