Smallest outboard on 18' Cuddy?

'82Glastron

Cadet
I need to find an outboard to replace the 125hp force on my 18' Bayliner Capri Cuddy. I want to know what the smallest outboard is that will plane the boat. I am not looking for a lot of speed I just want to cruise around. Wondering if 60-80 will do the job.

64osby

Admiral
For best results you should look at a replacement motor that has at least 75% the maximum HP rating for your boat.

A 60 to 80 would struggle to get the boat on plane and maintain it IMO.

'82Glastron

Cadet
I believe these boats came with a 85 from the factory. Im just trying to see what I could get away with to save some gas.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you want fuel economy in a boat, get a boat with oars or a sail. too small of a motor will actually use more fuel than a larger motor, as you will have the throttle at WOT all the time to get the boat out of the hole.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Unless you plan to keep the boat forever, you may want to consider resale. An underpowered boat will probably limit its market, and selling price.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I had a nice closed bow Renken 18 footer. It was powered with a Chrysler140 when I bought it. later I put on a Force 125 and it performed well. Just for a hoot I also powered it with a Chrysler 75. It planed well and topped out at about 25 MPH but I was not satisfied and went back to the 125.

Since you have a cuddy which is usually a bit heavier than a closed bow, I would not go as low as a 60. 70-75 would be the smallest I would mount on it..

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just because you have a motor that can push the boat at 40 MPH doesn't mean you need to go that fast. Cruise around in the mid-teens and your fuel economy will be about the same with a bigger motor throttled down or a smaller motor running wider open. Energy is energy.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Until recently I owned a 2000 Bayliner Capri Cuddy 1802 with a 2000 Merc 90hp 3cyl 2 str. It would perform well, get great fuel mileage and run rings around a 125 Force/Chrysler boat anchor. Look around for one....don't waste your time or money on another Force....Just my 2cts