evinrude id

jeremy zook

Cadet
Hello I am new to this forum, I recently purchased an older evinrude big twin electric25 I'm trying to figure out what year it is. The numbers i found on the plate are 25920-19739 . any help would be greatly appreciated as I am in need of a gas tank and it would make things a bit easier. Thank you

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Model 25920, with serial number 19739 is a short shaft electric big twin made in 1955. It would take a J-6J plug (or J-6-C) gapped at 0.030" and would use a 24:1 gas:eek:il ratio.

Unless it was converted, it would not have been built with a fuel pump, and thus it would require a 2-hose pressurized fuel tank. Those tanks are fairly easy to find (E-bay, etc.) but becaue of the age (and the fact that they must hold pressure) replacing all the gaskets, hose and seals would be a good idea.

Last edited:

jeremy zook

Cadet
Ok thanks . another question what would it take to convert it to one line? What kind of pump would I use?

jeremy zook

Cadet
Could anyone tell me what the number would be for the pump. I've been looking but can't find one for a 55

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
There is nothing wrong with the old gas tank system. I have several and they all run fine. If there is anything to consider its the need to stop when refueling or switching tanks.

Since you already need a tank, converting will be quite expensive. Tanks can be found on CL for 20 bucks, and the rebuild kit is another 25. Once rebuilt, if taken care of, the tank will last another 20 years.

jeremy zook

Cadet
So I've been looking around for a tank. I found this on ebay.http://m.ebay.com/itm/191710628812
My question is is it the correct one? Of so is that a decent price. Dry so many questions as this will be my first outboard so basically I know zero about it. Thanks again for putting up with me lol

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
That IS the correct tank. Note the shape of the gas cap - that's a dead givaway. Also note its label - it says OMC, not Evinrude or Johnson. That shows its a late model replacement tank, not an original from the 1950's. I would date this tank at late 1960's - early 1970's. Because its a newer tank its probably in better condition.

The price isn't bad, but not a bargain either. If you want to get going soon, then I'd buy it because of its vintage. If you can wait till Spring, keep looking. Craigslist local is probably the best bet.

I have a collection of those tanks, and will pick one up, just because, if the price is right. I have one just like it and paid only $5, when i didn't really need it. The first tank I bought was $70 (when I needed it now), but it was rebuilt.

This big twin and original tank were not just rebuilt, but restored to better than new...

Attachments

• P5232994web.jpg
    P5232994web.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jeremy zook

Cadet
That looks great. I am wanting to at least get one trip in this year to see how it does. But I am planning on putting in some work 99th is winter to restore the boat and motor. Thanks again