Volvo Penta 5.7 320 HP raw water hose

Tnyeste

Recruit
I have a 2004 Larsen Cabrio 274 and was winterizing it for the first time and see there is a hose coming out of the raw water system that comes up tp the top of the engine and has a garden hose female attachment on it. What is it for? I imagine it to be an alternative to using a cuff on your leg to run water through it when on the hard.
Also confirm please that all I have to do to drain the raw water system is drop the hoses off the raw water pump and drain the heat exchanger that is mounted on the hull of the boat (below the level of the engine). This looks like it automatically drains the manifolds but want to be sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thx Tom

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Its not stock. Could be a super flush kit. Post pics.

Nothing is self draining. You need to pull block plugs and manifold plugsplugs, then dig around with a nail or pick to make sure the drains are not plugged. You will also need to pull the large line between the power steering cooler and the raw water pump as well as the large line on the circulation pump.

You mention a hull mounted heat exchanger. It is also not stock. Post pics

Tnyeste

Recruit
It is a closed cooling system. I pulled the back plugs on the manifolds and the two block plugs and it drained all the antifreeze out of the block. I see on the forward end of the manifolds that there is a brass elbow screwed into each. The raw water cooling hoses attach to this and then down to the heat exchanger that has two raw water and two closed cooling system lines running into it.I'll get pictures and put them in ASAP. Thx Tom

Tnyeste

Recruit
Think the hose (garden hose fitting) with the blue may be an aftermarket winterize kit. Worked perfect to pump the antifreeze in and had it draining out the leg.Attached pictures of the cooling system. Red pump is raw water, pulled both hoses, forward end of the manifolds are brass fittings I pulled to drain the raw water. The brass fittings have hoses attached that run down through cooling system to heat exchanger. Pulled both fittings and blew out manifolds. Removed the lines going into the heat exchanger and blew out. Anything I've missed?
Thx Tom

Attachments

• IMG_1459.JPG
    IMG_1459.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1462.JPG
    IMG_1462.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1460.JPG
    IMG_1460.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1463.JPG
    IMG_1463.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1461.JPG
    IMG_1461.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not a factory HX. definately something added by the PO. based on view, it looks like 3.5" diameter or smaller. too small for a full system. you should have the two glycol connections (upper and lower radiator hose), the raw water inlet from the raw water pump, and at least 2 outlets to the exhaust manifolds. there should also be a bleed line from the top of the upper radiator hose to the bottom of the deareation tank, as well as a fill line from the deareation tank to the bottom of the lower radiator hose.

would need to have a sketch of where everything goes to see if you missed anything.