Broken 1958ish elgin 7.5hp what's it worth?

nabiul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Top cylinder has strong spark and reads 70psi dry, bottom cylinder has no spark and reads 30psi dry. The trim mechanism is missing/ mangled, everything else looks ok.

I got it for free and I'm thinking of taking it to my next local AOMCI meet.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
about 25# of scrap aluminum? just a guess

nabiul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok what would it be worth if it were running and any idea how the flywheel was supposed to be removed on these? There are no threaded holes for a puller.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
no clue. however I would assume a large 3-jaw puller to remove the flywheel.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Even in running condition it is not worth a lot--Maybe 50 bucks if you find the right buyer. If you do not have a large 3 jaw puller, you thread the flywheel nut up to the end of the threads, wedge a large prybar under the flywheel at the rear, and smack the flywheel nut a couple of good shots while pushing down hard on the prybar.

pckeen

Commander
You likely won't be able to get this running. The compression differences between the cylinders indicate that your powerhead is toast. If it does run, it won't run well. A motor like this is worth about $20-$40 - it's a parts motor. In running condition, unless you can find a collector who happens to want that particular motor, it would be worth about $200.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I had a VERY clean mid 1950s green Elgin 6hp a few years back that I listed on eBay for a neighbor. It was a true, nearly mint survivor motor, a 9.5 on a 10 scale cosmetically. Wouldn't have taken much to get it running, beyond basic tune-up stuff like coils, points, plug wires, water pump, etc. I got $175 for it on eBay. Decent enough motors, but Elgins simply don't have the cachet of the Mercs of the era, nor the parts availability of the Johnrudes.

nabiul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I went to take the side cover off and wouldn't you know it most of the screws had rusted and snapped right off. It's a shame because the pistons look good through the porting and it just looks like carbon build up that's jamming the rings in the bottom cylinder.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Well I went to take the side cover off and wouldn't you know it most of the screws had rusted and snapped right off. It's a shame because the pistons look good through the porting and it just looks like carbon build up that's jamming the rings in the bottom cylinder.

then, if you want to tinker to get it running, drill out all the bolts, and re-tap.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Unless your a PURIST or COLLECTOR...why even waste your time.....Put it on Craigs List or just set it at the end of the drive way for the trashman.

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Disassemble and part it out;you may find a Elgin lover who will pay a decent price for useable parts. Even restoring carb and ignition systems can run more than a lot of motors are worth.

nabiul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I ended up putting it back online for $20. Some guy picked it up, said he was going to put an air cooled head on it to make a duck hunting motor.

I picked up some more scrap though, I took a shot on a powerhead and some random parts for my low compression johnson 9.5 and it turned out to have even worse compression. The bores looked in better shape, but the pistons slid easily in and out; I thought it was because the head cover was off. Got two lower units, one makes rattling noises when I turn the prop....

One interesting thing I noticed is that the casting quality on the spare powerhead, which looks to be a later evinrude production, is absolute garbage compared to my early johnson. There is flashing and wrinkle like defects all over; the casting is so bad around some recessed bolts that none of my sockets are able to fit because of clearance issues.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
They are all mass produced low $ motors and not handcrafted precision racing motors.

nabiul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well here's something interesting, each of the johnson 9.5 powerheads had a metal ring pressed between the head and the leg casing where the drive shaft fits into the crank shaft. This ring has a key way and four tapped holes similar to the part that holds the timing plate, but this one doesn't appear to do anything. There also isn't enough metal on the mating part of the leg for this ring to be some kind of alignment part. What is this? A hidden spare part? Some re purposed scrap from previous production?