Mad spouse! Engine repair cost.

FPJKCMO

Cadet
Okay, new to this group. I joined with one purpose - to prove my husband wrong. If I'm right he is in trouble ;(. He just brought me a repair bill for over $800.00 for his 1957 Johnson Javlin 35 HP motor!!! Really?! So is $800.00 realistic? He says he got new seals, water pump, dawg paws, plugs and whatever else, I just heard $800. So, my question to those that know is 1. Is a 59 year old engine worth this? Did he just get taken at the repair shop? Your answers will decide if he gets to keep it and the boat it's attached to. Thanks in advance!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Don't get rid of the boat
In all seriousness 800 is not that bad a full for all that's been done if it was done right the motor will last for many years a newer motor in the 70's to 80's year running with no problems will cost you between 2 and 3 k but next time he needs repairs send him hear we can pretty much walk anyone through a repair as long as they have the tools patience and know their way around a wrench but in all seriousness 800 is a very decent price for what has been done almost a bargain imho

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
When an older motor comes in at our shop, I say, yeah we can get it going, but it's gonna cost around this much,$$$ give or take a few depending on what we get in to. How much ya willing to spend? I personally like them older engines, But I can fix them myself. Actually a lot will spend the money, and end up with a good motor for quite some time after. Money well spent? I think so. If it was an Chrysler or mercury, not for me.... but johnyrudes,yeah.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
A great running 57 35hp Javelin is worth the $800 IMO.

BTW: what boat is he putting it back on?

FPJKCMO

Cadet
You guys are killing me! But, I guess he's out of the dog house. It goes to a 1956 Larson Falls Flyer that we've had for about 10 years. We don't really use it, it's been in the garage for most of the time. That's why I was mad. But thanks for your help. Really should just get rid of it....

jbcurt00

Staff member
The Falls Flyer wouldnt look good w a run of the mill or a modern outboard.

Is the motor the white/gold or holiday bronze (red) one?

You should be USING the Falls Flyer, not hiding it in a garage.

I have a 57 35hp Javelin in the holiday bronze ;)

FYI: my Admiral wouldnt be pleased if I spent 800 on it either.....

FPJKCMO

Cadet
Looks gold greenish to me. So, is this motor run of the mill? Meaning not so special? We might take it one more time to S.C. For a ride in the ocean and the inlets. He wants to take it on one trip on the big MO from Kansas City to Saint Louis and then he's done, so he says.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good engine mechanics should always explain:
- Fix for $xxx / give-take a few dollars range.
- Replace with good (or new) working equivalent for $xxxx dollars.
- or, dump and run away.

Just last week, I called my local small engine guy and explained my chain saw was leaking too much bar oil. He said repair would be $xxxx range or brand new replacement engine would be $xxxx. In the end, he told me to keep using it "as is" for another 5+ years. Or, until I get tired of adding more than usual chain bar oil. This saved me replacement &/or repair cost. And, he dramatically earned my respect.

With above in mind, did the local boat engine mechanic recommend different choices? Might want to ask your husband...

jbcurt00

Staff member
Google johnson golden javelin

If thats it, no its definitely not a run of the mill motor. Neither is the holiday bronze version.

A generic looking late 60s thru 70s motor would be run of the mill

FPJKCMO

Cadet
See that! You go to the guys that know! Googled the Golden Johnson javelin and that's it. He has all the Crome on it and the Mechanic did say the propeller was brass? ( I was gonna melt it down for the scrap metal) So, 2k for an old motor. Who knew, well he did I guess. Props to the husband and I did share this with him, he said thanks to you all.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ya know, if it'll help keep him outta the dog house, I'll cover the repair bill and take that nasty ole outboard off your hands......

Never mind, didn't see the Admiral looking over my shoulder... I like sleeping IN the house ;)

Glad it worked out...

FPJKCMO

Cadet
Jbcurt00, that was funny, thanks we needed that after the day of " oh crap you spent how much.". When he is done with his trips he's ready to sell and we will definitely use I boats to do so. Thanks guys.

southkogs

Staff member
Cool ole' boat and motor ... I've always wanted to run across a Falls Flyer and check it out live. 'Course I'm the same situation as JB - "buy and die." :D

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
a newer motor in the 70's to 80's year running with no problems will cost you between 2 and 3 k

If I could get 1/4 of that for any of the 4 outboard engines I have I'd sell'm and by a new one. Just sold a very nice running 1975 50hp Johnson and was lucky to get $250.00 for it after having it for sale for almost 2 years! The last engine I bought is a 1994 30hp Johnson and only paid $325.00 for it. Just glad I don't live in your area. I'd go broke.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
If I could get 1/4 of that for any of the 4 outboard engines I have I'd sell'm and by a new one. Just sold a very nice running 1975 50hp Johnson and was lucky to get $250.00 for it after having it for sale for almost 2 years! The last engine I bought is a 1994 30hp Johnson and only paid $325.00 for it. Just glad I don't live in your area. I'd go broke.

The demand is high for god motors and very few people want to sell em if they got em so the price goes up you can get cheap motors but you will have problems

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Then I guess the demand isn't that high here in the Chicago Milwaukee region. There is no way anyone would get $2000-$3000 for a 30 to 40 year old engine around here no matter how good of condition it might be in. $1000.00 at best and it had better look brand new.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Let's see -- A man spends $800 to repair a very nice engine that will likely run for another 10 years or more and as a result gets in the dog house. A women thinks nothing of spending $200 - $300 (and more) for a purse, the same for shoes and an equal amount for clothes that go out of style in 6 months and are essentially cast off as unwearable/unusable (yet they are) she then gives them away and now has an excuse to go buy more because she has nothing to wear. Were is the justice?????????

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Anytime time we can help keep another boater out of the doghouse, we're there for them.... :)