15 vs 20 hp tohatsu

BassAckwards80

Seaman Apprentice
I've had some horrible luck with outboards. I've had a 25 hp, 18 hp, 3 hp two strokes that I've rebuilt but keep having problems. I've decided to get away from the old two strokes as I can't continue to physically work on these. So I've decided on a new 4 stroke. So with all that background said,..

I've decided on the tohatsu because it's all around has great reviews. I also have a dealer near me that sells tohatsu and Yamaha. Now I have a 1443 Jon with a weight limit of 760 lbs. I utilize every ounce of that limit as I have modified this boat to have a casting deck, front and rear trolling motor, and two battery compartments. The boats capacity is well distributed but is maxed, the 1968 18 hp evinrude pushed me at about 19 mph.

Money aside I want to know how the 15 hp would be compared to the 20. They both weight the same and I think low end power would be the same. I think high end is the only real output difference. So if this was your boat and everything was the same what would you get and why? Would you get a different brand if money wasn't an issue?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Would go straight for the Tohatsu 20 HP, will push better that boat than any 15 HP. Having already a 18 you wouldn't want going for a less HP engine. If you add an induction tach can maximize prop to suit your boating needs.

Happy Boating

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Go with the 20hp just cuz you have the power doesn't mean you have to use it. Wait who am I kidding you'll use it

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
If I understand which models you are looking at they both weigh 114 lbs.

BassAckwards80

Seaman Apprentice
I appreciate the reply all. I know there must be a reason to get the 15 hp other than price. There's got to be an advantage to this smaller motor. The models I'm considering are below.

MFS20CEFS
MFS15CEFS

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If $$$ is not an issue the 20 has :

-More power & torque, will push that boat better specially if heavily loaded,
-Better hole shot.
-Better end speed, need to throttle less to maintain plane,
-Ideal for a spot on prop maximization if needed.
-Weight is same and both are 350 CC.

How much $$$ are we talking about between both. It's only a carb difference + 5 HP marketing.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

BassAckwards80

Seaman Apprentice
The 15 hp is $2660.00 and the 20 hp is $2979.00. That doesn't include taxes..

I've been reading that the 15 hp will troll better at a lower speed, but I can't find how low of speeds these two motors troll at. How slow can these troll? I'm not interested in trolling socks, and the little 3 hp I have I can get to a little over 1 mph. The 18 hp trolled at 1.5 mph if I can recall, but that motor was loud, I hated trolling with it

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
I appreciate the reply all. I know there must be a reason to get the 15 hp other than price. There's got to be an advantage to this smaller motor. The models I'm considering are below.

MFS20CEFS
MFS15CEFS

Only thing I can think of is a lot of smaller boats are only rated for 15hp.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Buy the 15. If you decide it was a mistake just buy the 20 carb and put it on...It becomes the 20 and you wind up with a spare carburetor. All for less than a 20:)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The 15 hp is $2660.00 and the 20 hp is $2979.00. That doesn't include taxes.. I've been reading that the 15 hp will troll better at a lower speed, but I can't find how low of speeds these two motors troll at

Yo save $ 319 if buying a 15 HP, a 20 HP carb costs $ 219, so only saving $100 if converting later to a 20. A 15 HP carb is around 248, could sell it latter with a good discount and make extra money.

Why would the 15 troll much better than the 20 ? assume you troll at idle or fast idle speed at the most right ? both engines should rev at same or near same rpm when at idle/fast idle.

Happy Boating