Can't get a new Evinrude E-tech engine for my boat?o

DaveN28

Cadet
So i called my local Evinrude dealer looking for price on a 30hp E-tech with electric start, remote steering and manual tilt for my 1988 alumacraft 14' deep v lunker and was informed that i cannot put one of these motors on because they are only offered with 20" shafts and i have a 15" transom and it would cause problems by letting water in the engine through some sort of valve is what i was told. So it appears that if i want to repower with evinrude i would have to buy a motor with tiller steering and rope-pull start. Which seems totally crazy to me that i cannot put a new evinrude on my boat without being forced to use tiller steering and rope start. Can anyone verify if this is true and if so, is their a manufacturer that offers a 30-40 hp motor with electric start and remote steering w/15" shaft? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You're outa luck. I had the same problem a few years ago when I decided to repower. The good news was that I got a new boat out of the deal.

alldodge

Staff member
So i called my local Evinrude dealer looking for price on a 30hp E-tech with electric start, remote steering and manual tilt for my 1988 alumacraft 14' deep v lunker and was informed that i cannot put one of these motors on because they are only offered with 20" shafts and i have a 15" transom and it would cause problems by letting water in the engine through some sort of valve is what i was told. So it appears that if i want to repower with evinrude i would have to buy a motor with tiller steering and rope-pull start. Which seems totally crazy to me that i cannot put a new evinrude on my boat without being forced to use tiller steering and rope start. Can anyone verify if this is true and if so, is their a manufacturer that offers a 30-40 hp motor with electric start and remote steering w/15" shaft? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Without looking into it I would bet if the dealer could sell you one with a 15 inch shaft he would. Now you could install a jack plate and use the 20 inch

DaveN28

Cadet
I found what is called a mini jacker plate and it costs $100 from bass pro shops. Anyone have any experience with these things and i also wonder if using this would void any warranty for a new motor?

alldodge

Staff member
Haven't used them but they are several folks which have for the same reason. Don't see how this would be a warranty issue, but as a non-attorney just ask dealer or better yet call customer service.

Since your talking new ever think about just getting another band of motor which comes with the shaft needed?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Haven't used them but they are several folks which have for the same reason. Don't see how this would be a warranty issue, but as a non-attorney just ask dealer or better yet call customer service.

Since your talking new ever think about just getting another band of motor which comes with the shaft needed?

The op probably wants a good motor :).There should be zero issues with the jackplate .Think about it, you could theoretically buy the motor and take it home and install and the same for any issues.Talk to the dealer if you want to. He wants to sell, just as bad as you want to buy.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds absurd......The Alumacraft requires at least a 20" shaft...I'd check with other dealers...I'd bet Honda,Mercury,Yamaha,Nissan dealers would be thrilled to have your business. I have a1988 Lunker 14 I'm rehabbing,,,,a short shaft motor is a NO-GO, I hung my 5hp Merc 4str 20" shaft on it...PERFECT!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I found what is called a mini jacker plate and it costs $100 from bass pro shops. Anyone have any experience with these things and i also wonder if using this would void any warranty for a new motor?

I recently picked up an older Sea Nymph Pike that came with a Mini-Jacker on it. Tried to put a long shaft 1994 30hp Johnson on it and have had nothing but problems with it. The 1st thing is that the Jacker has a 4" setback which will require the motor to be mounted even higher. Now it may work on the Alumacraft just fine but it doesn't work well on the Nymph with a long shaft Johnson.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
No Title

A simple solution might be to make up something like this with 1-1/4" angle brackets and a 5-inch extension board, bolted through your existing transom.

Attachments

• photo229489.jpg
    photo229489.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 0

82rude

Rear Admiral
bonz d.Lets assume your transom is rotted.It shouldn't be that hard to replace and make 20 inch at least by looking at the pictures .Heck I did a 16 footer in an afternoon and she is still in service 6 years later.But what you pictured there should work in either case just dandy.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
bonz d.Lets assume your transom is rotted.It shouldn't be that hard to replace and make 20 inch at least by looking at the pictures .Heck I did a 16 footer in an afternoon and she is still in service 6 years later.But what you pictured there should work in either case just dandy.

That was supposed to be a temporary quick fix as the Mini-Jacker was still too low.

82rude

Rear Admiral
NO.sorry I wasn't really commenting on your job which I think is quite inventive.I was actually trying to see your transom and thinking if the op,s was similar it would not be hard to rebuild to 20 as long as he had the same style with that dip already there if you follow my poorly worded thinking..

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I understood your post and on offense was taken. I was just trying to establish a working height.

I also have an 16' Alumacraft of the same year and replacing the transom in them is a bear.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Get a nice SS 5" transom mount or make one yourself and bolt it in middle transom.

Transom Mount.JPG

A 20"engine which doesn't plane a 15" transom height boat will have no issues powering it, good for fast displacements non planing speeds

Happy Boating