Evinrude cooling question

Carver121

Cadet
I just bought a boat with an older 85hp Evinrude, early 80s I believe, and running on the muffs water looked to be flowing fine out the leg, but my understanding is that there is no tell tale or way to ensure cooling underway on these.

I've read the thread on installing a telltale but drilling into the block does concern my a little. Is there another way? Any way to install a temp property or something without drilling in? Would most of you even worry about it or just test it on the muffins each time first? Or every other time out? Just wondering if I'm worrying too much. Or should I just change out the impeller every other year and not worry?

Thanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: Carver121 to iboats...

You can tests the engine before going to the water each time. But even without any pee tube outlet, you could still see water mist coming out of the exhaust and know the pump was working. Or you can install one in your engine. Others have done so with out any problems. Yes you do have to drill into the engine casing to the water system, but it really isn't that hard to do. If you decide to go that route, take a few pictures of your engine and post them on here for others to suggest where to drill... JMHO!

Carver121

Cadet
Thanks! Yeah I'll definitely post some pics before I commit, that could be a big boo boo.

I'll probably just try to enjoy the boat for the rest of the season and do that over the winter or early spring.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Depending upon the engine there MAY be plugs screwed into one or both heads. Remove the plugs. Into one screw a 90 degree brass fitting for tubing for the pisser. Into the other screw in a sender for either an overheat indicator or a temp gauge.. If no plugs, drilling and tapping the top of the head is no big deal. Go onto the OMC forum and ask for the best place to drill.