removed foil/fin

Macca1500s

Seaman Apprentice
just recently bought a 15 foot ski runabout with a 1999 90hp Johnson, when i got it it had a foil on it, however it was badly oxidised , after doing all the research and reading the for,s and against i decided to remove it and see how the boat performed, i had intended to just buy a new foil.

well the results were quite surprising, in my case the thing being removed has made absolutely no difference, just as quick to plane, no difference to top speed, and as yet unproven but maybe marginally better economy

i suspect the previous owner used it to slow plain the boat for wake boarding and skiing,

but as i use it just to zoom around in I'm happy with it off

while not making any assumptions on how other people should act , I'm just reporting my findings.

oh previously i had a bayliner 2255 that i had repowered with a VP and duo props, then a 3200 mustang (Australia) with twin efi V6,s

then a glastron 175 with 3.0l VP and single prop drive

i have had a little experience with boats BUT not outboards

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I'm not a big fan adding doel fins to lower leg, if not riding parallel to water level while boat is on plane will achieve unwanted drag on them, for me it's a matter of having engine sitting at a correct transom height, well trimmed and weight evenly distributed on deck along a healthy engine and prop and voil?. Doel fins are huge garbage collectors too...

Happy Boating

Macca1500s

Seaman Apprentice
ive also never been a fan, i tried one on the bayliner i had, a seriously tail heavy boat, motor in the back, fuel tank in the back, people in the back, hopeless weight distribution,

that said i found it scary with a fin, much preferred Bennett trim tabs, and even with trim tabs I'm not comfortable with the self adjusting variety.

seems all these things are all designed to sort out what is a poorly designed boat/ motor combination.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
just recently bought a 15 foot ski runabout with a 1999 90hp Johnson, when i got it it had a foil on it, however it was badly oxidised , after doing all the research and reading the for,s and against i decided to remove it and see how the boat performed, i had intended to just buy a new foil.

well the results were quite surprising, in my case the thing being removed has made absolutely no difference, just as quick to plane, no difference to top speed, and as yet unproven but maybe marginally better economy

i suspect the previous owner used it to slow plain the boat for wake boarding and skiing,

but as i use it just to zoom around in I'm happy with it off

while not making any assumptions on how other people should act , I'm just reporting my findings.

oh previously i had a bayliner 2255 that i had repowered with a VP and duo props, then a 3200 mustang (Australia) with twin efi V6,s

then a glastron 175 with 3.0l VP and single prop drive

i have had a little experience with boats BUT not outboards

Sometimes they can help, sometimes they can hurt, but most people have no clue as to what they're supposed to do or how to set it up correctly.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I never tested performance with mine that came with my motor on the 16 footer with just me and or the wife we are on plane no problem with 4 people kind of slow to plane.

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class
They cause all kinds of problems on mine, I probably have 3 or 4 in my garage leftover from previous re powers. Porpoising is way worse, rougher ride, etc. proper prop and correct height are most important (4-blade/low rake SS, raised 7" is perfect for my hull).

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just don't like the way they look. I bought a used 25 Johnson that had one. I removed it as soon as I got it home.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
90HP on a 15 footer is plenty of power. A whale tail is clearly not necessary. They also look really dumb, IMO.