(Possibly stupid) questions about motor for 12-foot aluminum boat, from a rookie...

mofo83

Seaman
I do believe that 1962 engine is still a 24:1 mix as is my 1960 model.

80lbs on that engine is very good, clean carb and good spark it should purr like a kitten.

Funny, I searched online before either of you posted about fuel mix, and apparently it is a very contentious issue! Some people say 50:1 (because they changed something in the motor that year, that doesn't necessitate additional oil), some people say 24:1 "to be safe."

Maybe I should just split the difference? :)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
That will work too. The videos I linked are more of the same. Procedure is the same for all these magneto based engines regardless of hp. Also the guy that did that video also did one which shows how to adjust the points using a meter.

As far as the oil mix goes what was changed is the type of bearings used on the connecting rods and wrist pins. Which if I recall was done in 1964.
More good reading here. http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Outboard Motor Related/OMC outboard related articles.html

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Funny, I searched online before either of you posted about fuel mix, and apparently it is a very contentious issue! Some people say 50:1 (because they changed something in the motor that year, that doesn't necessitate additional oil), some people say 24:1 "to be safe."

Maybe I should just split the difference? :)
No split. Do what the manufacturer called for in the year it was manufactured.

mofo83

Seaman
Okay. I actually found an original owners manual on eBay that says 24:1. I'll try to run it sometime soon and let you know what happens!