what parts are needed for a service 2001 Mercury 140hp V6

robmcconnell

Cadet
Hi All

I am based in Australia and I am going to give my engine a full service this year. I normally just do plugs, gearbox and impellor.

Can anyone give me a list of service tasks I should complete and parts required.

Thanks
Rob

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Rob,

You have a 14 year oldie, if you own it from new and was well flushed with freshwater after saltwater issue the parts you are currently looking after will be ok. If it's a second hand not knowing if it was correctly flushed would pull cyl head off, clean all water passages, take advantage to decarbon piston rings, head interior, change plugs, install a new head gasket torqued to specs. Assume none of this preventive deeper maintenance job has ever been performed.

Happy Boating

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Is that a 2 cycle motor? If so, use fresh fuel as often as you can, and grease the zerc fittings and steering rod, in addition to what you normally do. Inspect the thermostats and poppit valve. If the spark plugs get rusty exteriors, replace them. Flush the motor with fresh water after use, if you trailer the boat.

I think Sea Rider's advice is a bit radical, unless you notice an overheat.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I think Sea Rider's advice is a bit radical, unless you notice an overheat.

Chris, OP didn't specify if it was a brand or second hand use, low or high hour used, so impossible to tell crankcase's interior water passages condition. Thin saltwater layers are always deposited inside all water passages during engine uses, you can flush an engine all day long but this salting will continue to form due to on/off, cold, warm engine cycles.

Engines are like water kettles, when immacuate bottom clean will boil water much faster as opposed to calcified ones, same with engines, with immaculate clean water passages heat will disipate faster and more efficiently as opposed to very salted, crusted ones.

If wanting to take the trouble reading the whole post, this will illustrate what you can expect after uncovering a Pandora Box : This scenario is applicable to any OB running on salt waters.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...cooling-issues

You should not wait till that happen by replacing a head gasket and doing internal maintenance combustion chambers in time. You will always find corrotion inside all powerheads, are not green kryptonite cooled car engines, right ?

Happy Boating

Last edited: