Engine size for larger person

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I have found I am able to tube using a 50 hp with people under 140 lbs but I took a friend out for the first time tonight and well had some issues. He is just under 300 lbs and could not get up fully onto the tube like most as he is 6'5. So there was a good amount of extra drag, what would be a good upgrade for motor wise as I have noticed I am mainly only pulling younger kids/smaller people because of my lack of power.

southkogs

Staff member
50HP on a hull rated for 50HP will pull a skier, but a tube is like draggin' a log through the water. I think it's harder for a small motor like that to pull a tube than a skier. I wouldn't over power the hull to try to get a big dude like that up. The over powering, plus the tow load (IMHO) has the potential to swamp ya' from the stern.

Dunno' what overpowering laws look like in your area (I'm assuming Ontario, CAN), but you'll wanna' check that too.

On the hull rated for 150HP ... I'll put all 150 ponies on it. Prop it down a little so ya' got some extra "pull" and your bud'll be skiddin' across the water just fine.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
50HP on a hull rated for 50HP will pull a skier, but a tube is like draggin' a log through the water. I think it's harder for a small motor like that to pull a tube than a skier. I wouldn't over power the hull to try to get a big dude like that up. The over powering, plus the tow load (IMHO) has the potential to swamp ya' from the stern.

Dunno' what overpowering laws look like in your area (I'm assuming Ontario, CAN), but you'll wanna' check that too.

On the hull rated for 150HP ... I'll put all 150 ponies on it. Prop it down a little so ya' got some extra "pull" and your bud'll be skiddin' across the water just fine.
Okay thanks yeah I figured with the current one not worth or safe putting a bigger one on but the one for 150 I was not sure between 115 or 150. Seems like 150 will be the choice now to find one that is not broken.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
How about going for less pitch prop, that should pull your revs up along having better hole shot while pulling heavy tubers. Does your combo has a tach in good working order ?

Happy Boating

pckeen

Commander
Good rule of thumb is don't go less than 70% of the max rated on your boat. 115hp should be fine for towing a tube or a water skiier.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If the boat is rated for 150, put that on it and you'll be happy. :joyous:

Last edited: