Motor Recommendations for 88 Wellcraft 23 Fisherman

Zac Penn

Seaman
I am going to look at the above boat tomorrow but it does not have a motor attached. I am fine with that and have repowered a hull before so I know what I am getting into. However the last time i did this I just jumped at the first good motor with solid compression and didn't really care about what it was. It performed great once it FINALLY got started, but it was a 75 Mercury 1500 so it sucked gas like crazy. I am attaching the specification sheet for the boat so you can be mindful of the weight/beam/etc...

This time I know what features I am looking for...
Easy to cold start. Fires up right away every time.
Is quiet at idle and lower RPM range. My closest boat ramp has a 20 minute no wake zone so I want to be able to easily listen to music and have a normal conversation with guests while idling.
Has a smooth transition from neutral into gear.
Is relatively good on gas.
If you recommend a 2-stroke I want something that has an EXTREMELY reliable oil injection system, or one that is easily removed so I can just pre-mix my fuel.
Tilt/trim motor is located on the mid-section instead of a remote location, and preferably a trim switch on the motor.

If I get the boat at the price I am shooting for then I will have an outboard budget of $2100 roughly so hopefully this will steer you in the correct year range for my budget.

Thanks for the help,
Zac

Attachments

• photo226648.png
    photo226648.png
    208.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You will want about 75% of the max HP for that boat. If I had to guess, I would think a 200-225HP motor would be close. That is a walk-around model?

BTW - The Merc 1500 you had is twice as good on fuel as my '98 150 Johnny. I know this as I have had both motors.