use of fuel additives or NOT ?

jaymoran00

Recruit
i am being told by two different marine repair shops .. #1 says, " use HEET additive to help reduce water from fuel tank problems" # 2 says "ABSOLUTELY NOT-NEVER USE THE ADDITIVE... THE VOLVO PENTA fuel filter system is perfect for capturing the water and you'll only make it worse by using an additive..." I respect both of these guys, which one is right... both are adamant that the other is wrong ( #2 used to work for #1 )

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I use Stabil over the winter - never had a problem. I also use a water/fuel separator. During the summer when the boat is getting regular use I don't use any additives at all. IMO, if the fuel in the tank will be used within a month's time, I just let it go........

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
About the same as Augoose. The only thing I do is the first fuel up of the season I run Chevron Techron through a full 50 gallon tank load.

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was informed a lot of fuel additives will remove the coating...... and NEVER use them. from a guy who rebuilds carbs for 40 years

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF??? You have anymore than a few ounces of water?? Where did it come from?
One customer had a cracked tank and couldn't understand why it always had water?
Heet is ok but remember your adding fuel when you add alcohol and it needs oil to offset the added fuel.
Usually 1 can of Heet doesn't do much.
I use boat stove alcohol when I add anything.. It absorbs it weight in water.

Like AUGOOSE I don't use any additives and (unfortunately) my boat sets for a month or 2 or more.
I have a water sep filter and don't ever find any water in there.

Some additives aren't good for plastic tanks. It melts the inside coating.
Sta-bil is a good idea if it's gonna set for 6 mo. or more.
I also use Chevrons Fuel additive when I'm working on dirty carbs .Outboards get oil.
I mix it in 1 gal of gas and add the right amount of oil(don't wanna do any harm).
Then run it through the carbs. Letting it set overnight after it gets into the whole system.
Amazing how it helps a gummed up carb.

I bought a Ford PU and it ran crappy. I run most of the fuel out and added Chevrons Fuel treatment with Techron.
I drove it down the road and could feel the difference as I went down the road.

Last edited:

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I`ll run a can or two of Seafoam through the system during the season and come winter, will treat the tank and fuel in it with Stabil. I have never had any fuel related problems.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
i am being told by two different marine repair shops .. #1 says, " use HEET additive to help reduce water from fuel tank problems" # 2 says "ABSOLUTELY NOT-NEVER USE THE ADDITIVE... THE VOLVO PENTA fuel filter system is perfect for capturing the water and you'll only make it worse by using an additive..." I respect both of these guys, which one is right... both are adamant that the other is wrong ( #2 used to work for #1 )

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

There's probably millions of people that do not use any fuel additives at all. (I'm one of them)

I run the boat to about 1/4 or less fuel level every AUG or SEP or so and do other storage/winterization items.

In June or so of the following year, I change the fuel filter, fill the tank and go boating. I have done this for as long as I have had boats. (30+ years) I have never used Owl-snot, Sea-goop, Stay-gard, or other Snake Lube.

And I use the cheapest E-10 gasoline I can find locally in all my gasoline powered stuff........they just keep running.

If using additional "stuff" in the fuel or oil makes you feel good, nothing anyone says here will change that!

ymmv.........

Rick

thumpar

Admiral
I do put the green stabil in for winter just because but have gone years with the old boat and not used it.

airshot

Rear Admiral
When I ran 2 stroke outboards, I used a can of seafoam once every few tanks to keep gunk from building up in rings and exhaust ports. I could tell each time I added it as I could feel the improvement. Now I run an I/O and like most only have alcohol fuel availiable in my area. I did have some minor issues with rough idle and hesitation on acceleration so I tried the blue marine stabile for alcohol fuels. After running it thru the first tank, I will not run without it. After 4 years I have not had a rough idle or a hesitation since. With only adding 4-5 ounces per tank, the cost is negligible and the improved idle and acceleration is well worth it. I also use it in my older cars for the same reasons. But to each his own........

WIMUSKY

Staff member

If both sides respond to this Topic, that's the answers you'll find here. Nobody will say, "absolutely not, never use an additive". Some may say, "I never use snake oil", or, "You're just wasting your money"". And the other side will say, "I always use Stabil/Seafoam(or the additive of choice)". Basically, you need to decide. It "appears" there is no right or wrong answer. So, did that help???:lol:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I just use stabil in the fall

Ditto that, and I don't worry about whether the tank is empty, full or somewhere in between when I lay the boat up. Whatever level is in the tank when it comes time for haul out, is what'll be in it when I launch in the Spring.

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
Hey everyone,

We manufacture STA-BIL? and want to try and help clear up some confusion. First, STA-BIL? will in no way do any harm to your fuel system. The product is made to clean and protect the fuel/fuel system and does so in a manner that has warranted OEM recommendations over the years from over 100 OEMs including Marquis Yachts, Correct Craft, Centurion Boats, and Formula to name a few.

When it comes to storage of gasoline, you want to try and add a product with fuel stabilizing capabilities anytime that gas may sit longer than 30 days. That is how quickly today's ethanol blended gas can begin to break down. That is not to say it is unusable in 30 days, but simply that untreated it can begin to break down and slowly form gum & varnish which can clog up the fuel system.

It is also generally recommended that you store any equipment about 95% full with a high quality fuel stabilizer/ethanol treatment. One reason being that the more room you leave in the system the more susceptible it is to rust & corrosion due to condensation. Second, as condensation forms it not only causes concerns about rust but phase separation. Plenty of room in the tank leaves a whole lot of room for water to gather and eventually cause phase separation which we all know is a big headache.

Ultimately, if you have not ran an additive in the past and not had a problem, keep doing what you have been doing. The fact is there are a few additives out there that can help alleviate issues caused by today's fuels. One of those additives (as mentioned) is Chevron Techron which is a great fuel system cleaner. Other additives muddy the water with very far reaching claims. Always do a little research before pouring anything into your boat's fuel tank.

We make STA-BIL? 360? Marine which has a stabilizer and cleaner (among other benefits). For those interested, we would be happy to get a free 8oz sample for free. Just PM us with your name and address and we'll get that along with some 303? Products out to you.

http://www.goldeagle.com/STA-BIL360-Performance-Marine-Campaign

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/303-products

Please let us know if anyone has any questions.

Have a great weekend!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I have no doubt a product like STA-BIL can help, I also look at the evenly split "I use nothing and have no problems" and the "I use something all the time and have no problems" groups and it appears it doesn't make that much of a difference, neither group seems to have a great deal of issues.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Ultimately, if you have not ran an additive in the past and not had a problem, keep doing what you have been doing.
I'll do that, Thank you......................Clearly this is a marketing message. I am one of the people that store my boat for 9 months to a year with less than 1/4 tank of fuel (44gal tank) and simply fill it when I take the boat out. IT ALWAYS WORKS. I've never used any "additives" period.

Now, I am sure that adding STABIL, or any other additive, "will in no way do any harm to your fuel system" (and probably won't harm mine either)

But, if I don't use anything year after year and everything JUST WORKS, what purpose would it serve to add ANYTHING? (free or otherwise)

Thanks again. I'll take your advice and just keep what I have been doing.

Running the tank nearly empty every year (for 30 years) and filling it up next season with just gasoline....... E10 or otherwise.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I always find it odd that people feel the solution to E-10 (alcohol in the fuel) probelms is to add more alcohol (HEET). Normal E-10 will remove water from you fuel system, adding more alcohol could help a little to remove the water, but probably isn't needed, and could cause other issues.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Back to your original question.

It depends. If you are using E-0 fuel, water will accumulate in the tank and possibly other locations in your fuel system and over time will be pulled into the motor. The fuel water separator will do a good job of removing small amounts of water, but if it fills up water will enter the carb. When adding something like HEET to E-0 you are turning it into something more like E-10, only the % of alcohol depends on how much you add. It will then remove some of the water, but it can also be overwhelmed by the amount of water and just become gunk at the bottom of the tank.

If you use E-10, you probably won't ever find water anywhere in your fuel system because the small amount that finds its way in under normal circumstances will be absorbed and harmlessly burned. Any water that is absorbed by the fuel cannot be filtered out, it will pass right through it. If for some reason a large amount water enters the system it can possibly combine with the alcohol, separate, and form gunk in the bottom of the tank too. Adding HEET to E-10 just increases the alcohol %, and since the E-10 will have been removing water all the time, you most likely don't have any in the system and the additional amount of alcohol will have nothing to do.

The fuel systems are designed to tolerate E-10, more alcohol can cause problems if your system isn't designed for the higher levels, so adding products like HEET really has no benefit if you are running E-10, only a downside.

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
Again, if you have had good luck and not had any issues with your fuel system, that is great to hear. There are many others that have had issues and we make additives that help correct that. We did not mean to attack anyone's storage methods but are simply trying to help those who have noticed issues with their fuel system past or present and provide them solutions moving forward.

Please let us know if anyone has any questions.

Have a great day!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Gas driers are a different type of alcohol than what is in E10. They are pretty much all isopropyl and will not cause phase separation like methanol does when it gets to a certain water concentration.

That being said, phase separation is pretty much an overblown problem and if you get your fuel from a reliable source and/or make sure you gas cap is on tight you would never have an issue.