Salt Water & Open Cooling - Jacksonville & St. Johns River

JorgeE

Seaman
Hope I can get some wisdom fro the group...
We have a 1989 Celebrity 224SE with a Mercruiser 5.7; raw water cooling system. Boat has around 900 hours on it.
We are relocating from Indiana to Jacksonville, and bringing our boat with us. Indiana is 100% fresh water (well, actually sometimes a little murky). I realize that a closed cooling system would be preferable, but wondering whether it's worth the cost and time to install it.
We are in the process of making the move, and are flying up to tow the boat down this week.
In all likelihood, if/when we go into salt water, we would be launching from the St. John's river ramps, so would get flushing on the return leg.
I realize that a closed cooling system would be preferable, but wondering whether it's worth the cost and time to install it... thoughts?

Thank you!!

Jorge

Bondo

Staff member
1989 Celebrity 224SE with a Mercruiser 5.7; raw water cooling system.

Ayuh,.... Probably not worth the time, effort, or the money,.....

Just inspect the riser/ manifold gaskets every 4 or 5 years, 'n run it,....

JorgeE

Seaman
Thanks Bondo.
I did some reading on the web and it seemed to say it was OK. I've been on the forum for a while, and read a lot more than I post, so I know you been around boats a LOT, so I appreciate your response. This is a great forum, with lots of activity, and almost all positive responses (even with less than great posts!).
Can you clue me in a little on what you mean by "inspecing"? Will I need to take them off, or do you mean just give them a close "once over" from the outside.

Thanks again,

Jorge

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Can you clue me in a little on what you mean by "inspecing"? Will I need to take them off, or do you mean just give them a close "once over" from the outside.

Ayuh,..... The inner gasket bearings surface rusts away, causin' gasket failure, dumpin' saltwater into yer motor,....

Ya gotta pull the riser to see, clean, 'n inspect the problem area, on saltwater boats,.....

JorgeE

Seaman
Hi Bondo,
Just to say "thanks".
Took me a while to get back on the forum. In the meantime, our household was packed and is on a truck on its way to Jville, we've made an offer on a house here, and are TRYING to settle into the area.
There is a lot of water around here. i'm used to having to trailer one hour to get to a decent sized reservoir, here, the St. John's river carves its way through the town, and (hopefully) our house is about 10 minutes from a ramp. looking forward to a higher level of boating activity :)

Jorge

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Enjoy that Florida sunshine & all that close water! Depending on where in Indiana you were, we've got to drive more than an hour this year as are reservoirs in the north central part of the state are still flooded big-time. Hope you get to use your boat more now. I've spent some time in the Fort Myers area & it is really nice down there. Hotter than haities in the summer, but nice. Good luck.