Oil Filter for 1987 Crusader 270 (GM 5,7l 350CID)

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im looking for the proper oil filter for my 1987 Crusader 270 engines. I just bought this boat and in the proce..ss of changing the oil. I looked online for literally hours and cant seem to find anything about the right filter. The previously installed filters are QuickSilver 35802886Q, but the cross reference to Fram is a much smaller filter (narrow). Also, some sites cross reference that perticular filter to a Ford engine. I have GM engines. I found several references to the following Fram filters, PH30, PH8A, PH5, PH3690.. all of which are physically different sized (What the hell is the difference!?)

Anyway, I bought PH30, but reluctant to put them on because they are about 1/2 the side (deep/tall) than the filter I took off.. I do have remote filter mounts, so I dont know if that is why the PH30 is recommened (perhaps because the remote hoses take up oil capacity so the filter is smaller??)

I have my oil drained, but wanting on any suggestions before I fill back up.. I want to make sure I put the right filter on first.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... It's a standard Chevy V8 oil filter,......

They come in various lengths,....

At Napa, the 1086 is the short filter, there's also a mid-length, 'n a long one, but I don't have those part numbers,.....

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for you input. So, the big question is, does it really matter which one I use? Seems to me that they make a tremendously unnecessary number of versions of oil filters

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks for you input. So, the big question is, does it really matter which one I use? Seems to me that they make a tremendously unnecessary number of versions of oil filters

Ayuh,.... I run the largest I can easily change,.....

'n on many boat motors, smaller is Much easier,.....

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, in mine, I can put the largest possible, theres enough room, even if it was the size of a coffee can.. so the next question is; Is larger better? Naturally a smaller one would take less oil, but I'm not worried about that. I just want to use whatever is "best".

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... If ya change the oil every 50 hours or once a year, a smaller filter is fine,....

If ya run several hundred hours a season, more filtration is better,....

Boat motors generally run in a somewhat clean environment, so use which ever ya please,.....

NHGuy

Captain
The reason for so many sizes is some engines in trucks and cars have clearance problems, hence the short filters. If there's room for a big filter I use it. For the same money there's some more filter area to collect the little debris that motor will create. And if you are running at higher rpm the oil has more media to pass through so it might flow a little easier. But really they all work fine.