VP 5.7 duo or Merc 5.0 Alpha I

escarter1979

Cadet
I'm trying to decide between two boats. A 2007 chaparral with Volvo 5.7 and duo prop or a 2006 Monterey with MerCruiser 5.0 Alpha I. Boats are very similar, 23.5', but Chap has a few more bells and whistles. We do mostly cruising and wake boarding. My concern is the 4400lb Monterey is under powered. Is it really worth $7k more for the Chap?

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... The Duo-prop is worth it,....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Super easy choice..the Volvo if you are just selecting by drive with no thoughts on the boats themselves.. Even if the Volvo was an SX, I would take it over the Alpha just because of the cone clutch.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I'm trying to decide between two boats. A 2007 chaparral with Volvo 5.7 and duo prop or a 2006 Monterey with MerCruiser 5.0 Alpha I. Boats are very similar, 23.5', but Chap has a few more bells and whistles. We do mostly cruising and wake boarding. My concern is the 4400lb Monterey is under powered. Is it really worth $7k more for the Chap?

Thanks!

Howdy,

That Volvo Duoprop is going to perform FAR better than the 5.0L Alpha........HANDS DOWN. I do not think it's $7000 better though. But to be fair, you need to compare it to a similar boat with a 5.7L engine + (Mercruiser) Bravo III

There just is no comparison to a 5.0L Alpha...........

Now if it was a 5.7L Mercruiser and a Bravo III, (and it was less money) I would probably select the Mercruiser only because it would probably be easier to work on (FOR ME as a DIY'er)

If you get a Volvo Duoprop powered boat you will NOT be unhappy with the performance! (the engines are essentially the "same")

Cheers,

Rick
bravoIIIa.gif

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Rick, why do you think Mercs are easier to work on than Volvo's.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Rick, why do you think Mercs are easier to work on than Volvo's.
Easier in terms of new and used parts availability at NON-retail prices.......

If I had gone for a new complete package, I would have probably gone with the Volvo 496-Duoprop. The new price was almost exactly the same as a new Mercruiser 496/Bravo III.(About $25K then.....)

But when looking for a complete (used) engine/drive combo to replace the OMG 460, I found far more Mercruiser engines, drives, transoms, props, trim-pumps etc .....vs Volvo.
I looked all over the PNW for a complete used Volvo engine and drive. I wanted a 454/496 engine + Duoprop package for my Four Winns. I never found one.

I did find several Mercruiser engine/drive combinations. 5.7L(300hp) to 454 & 496 Bravo I, II, III etc.

So for me it was just availability.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have found that getting parts for my Volvo is easy. I have not found the need to ever buy used parts yet. The only used parts I would likely need is if I broke a housing but that is why I have insurance.

As far as actually easier to work on, I doubt there is even a difference of course you may have to work on the Merc more often! :) (This is the opinion of the owner of a certified Merc/Volvo who happens to be the best mechanic in my area).

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have found that getting parts for my Volvo is easy. I have not found the need to ever buy used parts yet. The only used parts I would likely need is if I broke a housing but that is why I have insurance.

As far as actually easier to work on, I doubt there is even a difference of course you may have to work on the Merc more often! :) (This is the opinion of the owner of a certified Merc/Volvo who happens to be the best mechanic in my area).
Yeah.....he's just biased!;);) Fords have ALWAYS been better than Chevys!!:faint2:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Yeah.....he's just biased!;);) Fords have ALWAYS been better than Chevys!!:faint2:

Well your finally getting back on track there....:D

There both boat's at 23 feet but that's where the similarity's end's, the 5.7 with the duo prop is playing in a whole different league you need a hour with each boat on the water with at least 4 people, if that does not convince you well do what you must. I can tell you the 5.0 alpha will be a better wake boat due the heavy nature of the boat and the small engine it will struggle to get on plane with 4 or more people

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I can tell you the 5.0 alpha will be a better wake boat due the heavy nature of the boat and the small engine it will struggle to get on plane with 4 or more people
The 5.0L/Alpha will be a complete DOG compared to the 5.7L/Duo.....in just about any performance comparison........... The Duoprop will also likely use less fuel too. (at cruising speeds)

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
The 5.0L/Alpha will be a complete DOG compared to the 5.7L/Duo.....in just about any performance comparison........... The Duoprop will also likely use less fuel too. (at cruising speeds)

:D Dog yes but one hell of a wake at 23' and a 8' and 4000lbs id be willing she would dig a hole and build a 3 ' wake all day long just like a rock star.

Last edited:

escarter1979

Cadet
Alright, here's an update. We tested both boats for an hour or so each. I really, really liked the Montery, (cheaper), but I really struggled to keep it even close to wakeboarding speed, it was always trying come off plane or speed up. Probably an easy fix with a prop change. The wake, however was not even close what I consider big, or even mediocre. It took about 5 sec to get up on plane.

The Chaparral, wow, let's just say not even in the same league. Up on plane in 2 sec, really nice wake and several more bells and whistles. Chap is now in the driveway!

Thanks!