Looking for first boat

panteramatt

Recruit
Im looking at getting a bowrider soon. Ive never owned a boat before but I am mechanically inclined. ITs a 1995 glastron ssv195 and th eguy said it hasnt been ran for 2 years but has a newer 4.3 and outdrive. He said it will need a new battery and starter. Its been winterized this whole time. It looks really nice from the pics and he only wants $2000. SO, what do I look for in this motor to make sure its good? Im bringing a battery and jumper cables but what else should I bring? Can I start the motor temporarily without a water hookup?​

Bondo

Staff member
Can I start the motor temporarily without a water hookup?

Ayuh,...... So long as you understand yer gonna be replacin' the impeller begore ya go boatin', ya, sure,....

Just a burp,... Starts, shut it off,....

After that ya start smokin' the rubber exhaust parts,....

For a quick hike up the learnin' curve,.... Click on the link in my signature, Don's Adults Only section,.....

Lotsa Great info in there,.....

tpenfield

Staff member
Leave it to a 20 year old boat that has not been run in a few years to make mince meat out of the mechanically inclined. So, expect that you will be in for a 'fight'. As Bondo stated replace the impeller in the outdrive. Definitely have water to it during your test running of the engine . . . else you will be replacing the impeller again.

Look for water spewing out of the engine block or the exhaust manifolds. check the oil color and level before you test run it and after you run it for about 20 minutes or so. the real test would be if the seller can drop it in the water for you and put it through the paces. Engines always run great with no load on them.

Last edited:

panteramatt

Recruit
Well we cant drop it in the water. As a matter of fact he wont even be there when I look at it as he lives far away. If I put muffs on it without it running will it tell me if there a cracked block or does the water have to be pumped through the motor? The guy is legit and a nice guy and $2000 is a great deal for around here IF all it needs is a starter.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Putting muffs on an engine that isn't running is no different than spraying it with a hose. It needs to be running to develop suction to pull the water throughout the block and exhaust system.

ChizelSpiel7

Seaman
I just bought a boat. Not knowing squat about what to look for. I didnt no what a transom was or to inspect it, until i already bought it. Make sure that the transom is not rotted like mine. Or you will be pulling the motor out to replace wood. (Ask me how i know). Check the bellows for cracks. If you have to replace, they are not expensive. If you install them yourself its free labor. Otherwise you will pay upwards of $500.00 up. Replace the water pump impellar if you buy it. I here it should be replaced every other year or so as well. And definately if its been sitting without being ran for awhile. Hope you have better luck than me.

Leon1914

Cadet
Putting muffs on an engine that isn't running is no different than spraying it with a hose. It needs to be running to develop suction to pull the water throughout the block and exhaust system.

Never run a boat dry! You will chew up the impellar within minutes. A boat needs water like a shark needs...

Leon1914

Cadet
Well we cant drop it in the water. As a matter of fact he wont even be there when I look at it as he lives far away. If I put muffs on it without it running will it tell me if there a cracked block or does the water have to be pumped through the motor? The guy is legit and a nice guy and $2000 is a great deal for around here IF all it needs is a starter.

Compression check will tell you 90% of what you need to know about the engine block. The other half is if it is cracked from improper winterization. Running the engine on earmuffs should help with that. And don't be afraid to rev it up a while once warm. Leaks cannot hide from pressure. Make sure prop turns without flaw forwards and backwards. $2K is not an arm and leg, but it is your $2K. So don't throw it away.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Never run a boat dry! You will chew up the impellar within minutes. A boat needs water like a shark needs...

He knows that. He was asking if putting muffs on the drive without the engine running would be enough to get water to circulate throughout the block and look for cracks.

Maclin

Admiral
I am leery of the "just needs a starter". Usually there is more to that story, just sayin'.

tpenfield

Staff member
I am leery of the "just needs a starter". Usually there is more to that story, just sayin'.

I know we see those stories unfold all the time. It should be a catch phrase for a red flag.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Most any I have seen with bad starters is due to the owner forgetting to remove the drain plug when stored,or forgetting to put it in when launching, or the bilge pump failed.Bilge fills with water,and it goes swimming. then rusts inside. Look at the bilge for a water level line. See how deep it had got at some point.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Bad starter could be from water in the bilge or it could be due to a hydro locked engine. No 20 yr old boat needs just one thing! Let's get real here. Be careful you could wind up having to spend 3x what you spent to buy it....