Boat moving slowely forward in neutral?

hostage

Lieutenant
A friend has a 1999 Maxum w/ a 4.3L Mercrusier in it, pretty much same boat I have, but a year older and an open bow. I noticed when the boat is neutral it creeps forward ever so slightly. This is throwing them off a little when it comes to docking. Any suggestions on adjusting it?

carrier82

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mine does the same thing. I believe it?s because exhaust gases thrusting the boat forward. Sometimes my prop also rotates when neutral in muffs. I believe the gear oil flow spins some gears...

hostage

Lieutenant
I didn't notice this on mine as my exhaust bellow came off the lower unit. I do see some vortexes coming off the stern

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
in neutral there is no thrust from the prop or the exaust. wind or current is moving the boat

carrier82

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bt Doctur, I must disagree because of my own experience. At the dock, no wind, no waves and no current. The boat lies still when the engine is off. When I start the engine, the boat starts to move forward. Very slowly, but it does until the ropes stop the movement. Doesn?t make docking any harder or anything as the thrust is so small, but the boat does move forward when the engine is running, in neutral gear.

hostage

Lieutenant
It might be best if I just pull it and put it on the muffs to see if it spins more than normal.

Bondo

Staff member
It might be best if I just pull it and put it on the muffs to see if it spins more than normal.

Ayuh,..... Or just get used to the fact that drivin' a boat in the water, Ain't like drivin' a car on concrete,....

Water is Dynamic,.... Concrete is static,....

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If the drive was partly in gear you would hear a clicking sound coming from the drive and it wouldn't start most likely. On the muffs the prop can turn from the escaping water spraying on the blades. Most of the time when at an idle in the water I notice most of the exhaust exits the ports rather than the prop at least it does on my 4.3 L.

thumpar

Admiral
On muffs the prop may turn a little but not much. Once in the water the prop wont turn when in neutral.