LS Engine swap

tonka329

Seaman Apprentice
Has anyone ever done an LS 5.3 or 6.0 engine swap into one of these stendrive boats? I have searched the forum and Google and have came up with nothing but jet pump swaps... Not sure if it is even possible?

alldodge

Staff member
Has anyone ever done an LS 5.3 or 6.0 engine swap into one of these stendrive boats? I have searched the forum and Google and have came up with nothing but jet pump swaps... Not sure if it is even possible?

Seem to remember (memory isn't as good as it use to be) the topic coming up before but don't remember anyone coming back with info listing it was done. Most parts won't bolt up so your in uncharted waters

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Isn't the 6.2L is a Merc stand alone engine. Thought it was developed by them and it wasn't GM.

NHGuy

Captain
Yes a 6.2 is Mercruiser's own design. It's 377 ci. I bet it uses GM small block architecture with modern controls and sensors.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yes a 6.2 is Mercruiser's own design. It's 377 ci. I bet it uses GM small block architecture with modern controls and sensors.
The bore and stroke are different which is why I thought that.

tonka329

Seaman Apprentice
Well, i may go with the O'reillys long block 5.7 and put in brass plugs and call it a day... Found the imfamous cracked block today..

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
The LS is starting to be used and you can find the conversion if you dig deep enough. Most of the stuff is high HP and expensive the manifolds are very spendy...in the end a good old 5.7 can be had for very cheap same hp levels for about 1/2 the cost.

Bondo

Staff member
The LS is starting to be used and you can find the conversion if you dig deep enough. Most of the stuff is high HP and expensive the manifolds are very spendy...in the end a good old 5.7 can be had for very cheap same hp levels for about 1/2 the cost.

Ayuh,..... 1/4 the cost if ya go the donor hull route,.....

tonka329

Seaman Apprentice
Very true guys... I may just find a 5.7 and put brass freeze plugs in it and call it a day

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Isn't the 6.2L is a Merc stand alone engine. Thought it was developed by them and it wasn't GM.

yep, GM performance 3.75" stroker crank dropped into a GM 5.7 liter block. same as a 383, however with virgin bores.