I/O Winter Options for river life?

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

After two years of flinching after everyone suggests a boat trip and having limited range ( I have an 80hp OB, it cost me the equivalent of $40 to do a 10mile round trip, no tax relief here on petrol!)
I have decided on a different route... I have my 16ft bowrider with an 80hp merc 2stroke for sale and am looking to replace her with an 18ft bowrider with a 1.7 mercruiser I/o. Big difference is the gph is at least half of my outboard, then we get tax relief on diesel for marine use so it halfs again so that 10 mile trip is now looking more like $10 (max). I'm very happy about that fact :)

Now questions as new to I/o's...

They always say a 2strok o/b is best for pulling a skier but is the torque of a 120hp diesel a good match for what i'm used to?

Ok the main question now... the boat will live on the river 365 days a year like my existing ones. Every time I use them when I finish I tilts the outboard up and the water drains out... great... if its a nice winters day... no problem we drop the outboard and go then tilt her back when we are done.
Now the question is is there a quick equivalent to that for an I/o system? or do I have to re-wintersise the engine every time? and what's involved in that if I do?

Sorry for the amateur questions!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Interesting, never knew there was a mercruiser 1.7 diesel until now... Interesting power plant, wonder if that was ever sold stateside or if it is just foreign markets only. Anyway, as far as winterizing, it would be helpful to know the location and how cold it gets. I/O's can sustain some cold if left in the water, but no where close to what an outboard can when tilted up.

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi smoking crater - yes it's an Isuzu engine used by gm in Vauxhall Astras here which tend to go on forever I have a friend with one >250k miles, I have read they aren't quite so reliable in a boat though - they do t like sitting all day at wot which is fine as I'll be at 2-2500 most of the time.

Ok I'm in Cambridge England - never really seen I dip below -7 Celsius here not sure if that helps?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the 1.7 mercruiser was a joint venture.

however unlike the outboards that you are used to where you just tip up and go, you will need to winterize every time if the boat is on a lift. -7 C is cold enough to cause things to freeze. Freezing causes expansion. Expansion breaks things like engines, manifolds, heat exchangers.

now you could simply leave it in the water (assuming open water) and use a bilge heater.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... If ice don't form in the water, chances are the water will keep the motor/ hull above freezin',....

But,....

I'd learn where the drains are, 'n drain it anytime ya expect below freezin' temps,....

I once bought a Merc driveline from an ocean boat in Maine, with a freeze busted motor,....

Saltwater freezes much lower than freshwater, but still freezes,....

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys - its on a river so its freshwater although never seen ice form on it

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
-7 should be fine if you leave the lower unit down in the water. The water will be quite a bit warmer than -7, as you mentioned no ice.

thumpar

Admiral
Do you have shore power? I wouldn't feel comfortable unless there was a small heater or heat lamp in the bilge on the below freezing days. -7c is about 19f. That is pretty cold.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
For that use the outboard will certainly need less attention from you. Lots of people leave OB boats in the water here in winter but very few leave I/O boats in the water....
-7* C is about 20* F that's easily cold enough to freeze freshwater and break things.
The warmer water temps will help but it's quite risky .

Last edited:

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys new development on this... I boght it ... and interestingly it has a closed cooling system with antifreeze but has a heat exchanger which is cooled by the river/sea water... with this revelation do I need to still use a bilge heater or would it be good as it is?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Hi guys new development on this... I boght it ... and interestingly it has a closed cooling system with antifreeze but has a heat exchanger which is cooled by the river/sea water... with this revelation do I need to still use a bilge heater or would it be good as it is?
Howdy,

I guess I didn't post on your previous question but I don't think there is a current production marine diesel that DOESN'T have closed cooling........which is probably a good thing.......If the engine was completely exposed, I would suggest keeping it completely covered.

Also, if there is a way to drain the raw water areas (I.E. the heat exchanger and maybe the manifold), you would prevent freezing in that area.

-7C is still cold enough to freeze fresh water..........

Have you spoken to a Mercruiser dealer? What do they suggest?

Cheers,

Rick