Fuel water separator

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to install a fuel water separator on my 1984 2.5L Omc Stern drive engine. However I would like one with a clear bowl to drain the water. But it seems that style is only for outboards. Am I missing something or not looking at the right items.

Thanks

robert graham

Admiral
I believe coast guard requires all metal units for inboards/enclosed motors since a cracked/leaking plastic bowl could be a big fire hazard....any way you can mount your plastic/drainable unit outside engine compartment?....

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I see what your sayin. There is not really a good place to mount it out of the engine compartment. I did find a model with a steel drainable bowl. Sierra 18-7938. Thanks for your help.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Can't have bulb type primers or plastic fuel components with an inboard engine... KABOOM! All it takes is for something to inadvertently touch the aged plastic just a little too hard, and it will break. (or even just shatter on is own due to years of fuel exposure.)

UncleWillie

Captain
The possibility of an Engine Fire is low with an outboard; Plus the fire would be outside of the Hull.
An I/O Engine Fire is inside the boat and would melt the Plastic Water Separator in short order, allowing the ensuing gas leak to feed the flames.