I want this to replace my 454

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
You want the 550 hp, 6 cytlinder 12 piston one? Since it is in development it may be a number of years before you can get one. And who knows how many bucks it will cost!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
You want the 550 hp, 6 cytlinder 12 piston one? Since it is in development it may be a number of years before you can get one. And who knows how many bucks it will cost!
Yeah.......well, there's that!

The 100hp aviation one is pretty much ready for production right now (and has already been flown) . I suspect they will have marine versions............ and who knows? maybe Mercruiser will be the first to prototype it!!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The 300 is pretty sweet at under 400 lbs,....

The 450 is almost up to a pound per horsepower,.... the 550 is over by 1 pound,....

If they were to start puttin' 'em in tractors, Tomorrow, I doubt I'll live long enough for a 300 to fall into My price range,.....

Looks like a Great idea though,... I Love diesels,....

QC

Supreme Mariner
Opposed pistons is not new, but they have had some issues over time. They are two cycle and have suffered some of the diesel two cycle emission issues. There is a company in our area doing the same: Achates Power

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Can you imagine being able to "cook" your own biodiesel for your airplane!?! How cool would that be!?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Yeah. These are pretty cool. They're not new though. The Jumo was used in passenger and military service in the 1930-40's In the Junkers(aircraft) ...

And the Napier Deltic was used in locomotives and big boats into the 60's and they planned a Deltic aircraft engine (but didn't happen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3bj47TAYiU

They were all opposed piston supercharged and turbocharged 2-stroke diesels (The Jumo was only supercharged)

Listen to a Napier Deltic startup. I would love to have this sound in my boat!.......well maybe not....Sort of sounds like a galloping horse!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_cGG56QA4

Aircraft diesels aren't new at all. Packard had a flying radial diesel back in the 20's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packard_DR-980

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I didn't know that ... cool. I got some weekend reading to do now :thumb:

Surprised I don't see more guys playing with those at the EAA fly ins. I don't go too often, but enough to see em if they were there.

Teledyne Continental, Lycoming, and a few others actually are "playing" with them. Deltahawk always has a booth at Oshkosh and Sun-N-Fun every year.

Continental did that NASA GAP thing back in the late 90's and actually flew a 200hp 2-stroke 4 cyl diesel in a "Mix-master" then they shelved it.

Then, they bought the SMA diesel (lock, stock and barrel) and Cessna is putting it in the 182 Skylane. (nothing like a deezle in a Cezzna!!) It was supposed to be certified in 2013

but...... http://www.flyingmag.com/technique/accidents/engine-failure-deals-setback-diesel-cessna-182-jt

There's LOT's of "stuff" out there....... but it doesn't look like there's a lot of interest (money) to get them flying in small airplanes. Not sure it would matter though. the diesel engine companies keep going out of business..... Diamond prop driven airplanes http://www.diamondaircraft.com/aircraft/index.php came with Thielert diesels (modified Mercedes Benz engines) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thielert_Centurion

Continental owns the engines now and Diamond went with traditional Lycoming engines...........

Oh well........Maybe I can put a VW TDI in front of my Bravo!!!!

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/diesel/mercury-diesel/42l-tier-3/

Bondo

Staff member
Oh well........Maybe I can put a VW TDI in front of my Bravo!!!!

Ayuh,..... At 370 hp, that's impressive,.....

Wonder how many banks you'd have to rob to find one on a pallet at yer backdoor,..??..??

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Ayuh,..... At 370 hp, that's impressive,.....

Wonder how many banks you'd have to rob to find one on a pallet at yer backdoor,..??..??
THEREIN LIES THE PROBLEM of course!!!

With a 496/Bravo costing around $25K (in 2006 $$$) I would say the VW + Bravo would be someplace around $40K maybe?

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Then, they bought the SMA diesel (lock, stock and barrel) and Cessna is putting it in the 182 Skylane. (nothing like a deezle in a Cezzna!!) It was supposed to be certified in 2013
That's cool. I didn't know about that ... I wonder if the turbo-prop ran it over. 'Cuz they sure made noise about that one.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Turboprops won't ever run over the recips.........they cost so much money, no one would ever be able to justify them. Plus, they burn FAR too much fuel. (on the order of 2 to 3 times as much down low (alt) . They really shine up high where most little airplane cannot go...

The aviation diesels OTOH, can produce nearly the same power (as a recip) on 20--30% less fuel flow

southkogs

Staff member
Was kinda' watchin' Solar Impulse and then thought of this thread ... Kinda' a hijack, but didn't know if you'd seen THE SOLAR ELECTRIC AIRPLANE

Site is pretty cool :nerd: Project is interesting :thumb: 24.5KIAS is REALLY SLOW flying :sleeping:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Was kinda' watchin' Solar Impulse and then thought of this thread ... Kinda' a hijack, but didn't know if you'd seen THE SOLAR ELECTRIC AIRPLANE

Site is pretty cool :nerd: Project is interesting :thumb: 24.5KIAS is REALLY SLOW flying :sleeping:

Yes it is pretty cool. As an EE(closet type!) , I really like the concept and I'm very interested in all the technical aspects of it.......But I'm pretty sure there'll never really be a practical airplane (except maybe a pilotless "drone") that can be exclusively solar powered.

southkogs

Staff member
^^^ pretty well agree with you. The practicality seems "iffy" at best.

Coming outta' Nagoya he climbed to 30,000 at one point ... at 24.5KAIS. You've gotta' feel like you're hovering at that rate. Ground speeds were hitting just around 30MPH or so. Crazy.

It's a BIG airplane too ...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
^^^ pretty well agree with you. The practicality seems "iffy" at best.

Coming outta' Nagoya he climbed to 30,000 at one point ... at 24.5KAIS. You've gotta' feel like you're hovering at that rate. Ground speeds were hitting just around 30MPH or so. Crazy.

It's a BIG airplane too ...

Yeah and a 30kt head wind has you going backwards!

southkogs

Staff member
Had my first IFR flight in a 182 last year. We were shooting some photos south of Nashville, and needed to steer clear of a few storms that were around. The airplane is rigged with a G1000, so we had all of the weather info sitting up on the MFD. Due to some headwinds (fortunately WAAAAAY) to our north, we got on the discussion of a "hover" in a 182 in the right wind conditions.

Even though the idea of an aerial reverse in an AC sounds kinda' cool ... not so sure I wanna' be up in the wind conditions :)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Had my first IFR flight in a 182 last year. We were shooting some photos south of Nashville, and needed to steer clear of a few storms that were around. The airplane is rigged with a G1000, so we had all of the weather info sitting up on the MFD. Due to some headwinds (fortunately WAAAAAY) to our north, we got on the discussion of a "hover" in a 182 in the right wind conditions.

Even though the idea of an aerial reverse in an AC sounds kinda' cool ... not so sure I wanna' be up in the wind conditions :)

Probably wouldn't be much of a problem until you tried to get it on the ground!!