mercury inboard/outboard engines& outdrives

jonakel

Recruit
Hello first time here We are looking to buy a '96 bayliner 2452 Express & would like to know the differences in the engines & outlegs the different Bayliners come with
One we are looking at has a remanufacturer engine 375hp (5.7L?) with an alpha one gen ll leg We have been told that the alpha legs fail when they have the V8 in front of them
I question the 375hp as well.The ones we have looked at in a 5.7L are 250-260hp am I wrong here ?
We are also being told if you go with the 5.7L a bravo ll leg is the better, more reliable one
could someone give us some good information before we put out the $$ & not be happy
thanks

Alumarine

Captain
Welcome.
The Alpha's are fine until you get over 300 hp I believe and then it's best to have a Bravo drive unless you're easy on the throttle.
You're right, 375hp is unlikely with the 5.7L. It's possible but I would avoid it. 260hp is with a 4bbl carb I think. EFI might be a bit more.
We'll see what the experts have to say.

superbenk

Commander
I believe the 5.7 can get 300hp with the MPI which I also believe is the manufacture's limit on the Alpha drive.

Bondo

Staff member
Hello first time here We are looking to buy a '96 bayliner 2452 Express & would like to know the differences in the engines & outlegs the different Bayliners come with
One we are looking at has a remanufacturer engine 375hp (5.7L?) with an alpha one gen ll leg We have been told that the alpha legs fail when they have the V8 in front of them
I question the 375hp as well.The ones we have looked at in a 5.7L are 250-260hp am I wrong here ?
We are also being told if you go with the 5.7L a bravo ll leg is the better, more reliable one
could someone give us some good information before we put out the $$ & not be happy
thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Bayliner is known to put the smallest motors, 'n drives on their hulls to keep costs down,....

I too, doubt the 375hp claim,...

The Bravo II is a houseboat/ barge drive, a B1 or B3 would be a better choice,.....

The Alpha 1, Gen.II is happy up to 300hp, which is a pretty stout SBC,...

thumpar

Admiral
To get 375hp out of a marine 5.7 would be hard. It is also to much for an alpha. My 5.7 efi is rated at 250hp with a bravo on it.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
The alphas are, in general, pretty reliable. Also, unlike the bravos, they're cheap and readily available should one fail. Are you sure it's a 5.7? Don't know if you might be looking at a 7.4...