Best option for quieting loud thru hull exhaust

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Not to change the subject from your racket making through the hull pipes but someone had no idea what they were doing when they installed the trim tabs on your boat. They're way too far inboard.

IMG_3560_zps0nod1ro6.jpg

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My buddy and I installed freshairexhaust.com on his direct drive Malibu ski boat. 5.7L 340 hp. System hangs from swim platform. BEST thing EVER! $450 or so, but we are on the water early 6:00 am and noise level from back if boat is 1/4 of previous. No change in performance that we can tell.

oldjeep

Admiral
My buddy and I installed freshairexhaust.com on his direct drive Malibu ski boat. 5.7L 340 hp. System hangs from swim platform. BEST thing EVER! $450 or so, but we are on the water early 6:00 am and noise level from back if boat is 1/4 of previous. No change in performance that we can tell.

I just cant get over the dozen hose clamps, 90 degree transitions and the cylinder banks firing straight into each other at the t connection. FAE looks like every exhaust no-no I can think of.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Agree. So much easier to muffle them in the first place, so the work around. We are planning to do a dB comparison in boat, behind boat at start and 1/4 miledown lake. Much better than turn downs on same boat. 5:45 am going skiing right now. Which would you like for your neighbor?

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
I'm up at 5 and like to ski, so it wouldn't matter to me;). But it is good to be courteous. Even with my mufflers, FAE would make a big difference, I just don't like the way it all tinker toys together around my wedge, even with their newer one piece pipes.

alamantia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It will cost a bit of $$$$, but go with the silencing tips . . . Corsa "Quick & Quiet" or similar. 454 engines do not breath all that well through the prop, so thru-hull is not a bad thing for that size engine, it is just the noise that needs a solution.

So how much did the corsa tips quiet down your exhaust?

alamantia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not to change the subject from your racket making through the hull pipes but someone had no idea what they were doing when they installed the trim tabs on your boat. They're way too far inboard.

IMG_3560_zps0nod1ro6.jpg

I dont use um

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Captains Call install ??

I had Capts Call in my FourWinns Liberator when the OMG 460 King Kobra was installed. When I rreplaced it with the 454/Bravo, I stayed with the Y-pipe/thru-prop and left the Capt Call system sitting on the floor........It's STILL in a box on the floor!!! It seems to work best there.

The thru-hull exhaust was unbearably LOUD!

alamantia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got the corsas for $200 a pair on ebay. Takeoffs of a new baja. They work well. Still a nice rumble but not nearly as loud as open thru hull

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
prop exhaust is the same as through hull with the exception the water muffles the sound, start your boat out of the water, with water muffs on and hear it rumble. As usual feel free to correct me.

Thru-prop actually breathes BETTER than thru-hull in most cases. There is a vacuum behind the prop sucking the exhaust out. It takes a massive amount of displacement/rpm's/forced induction to exceed the vacuum capability of the prop, to where thru-prop becomes a liability.