Has anyone installed....

M.A.CCruiser

Seaman
Temperature sensors on top of, or right after the risers? Seems like the quickest way to determine riser failure, or upcoming riser failure is based on the increased heat the put off due to restriction of water flow. Has anyone strapped temp probes to the top some way and ran a gauge near by or at the helm so monitor the temps?

I see something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Clipper-EX-1-Exhaust-Monitor-Alarm/dp/B00JWSJ6MO - and wonder if it would be useful. Even if just running one on both sides of the exhaust to measure the temp outgoing instead of the riser temp itself.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Has anyone installed....Temperature sensors on top of, or right after the risers?
Howdy,

Yeah.........not really. sensors are usually installed to prevent problems that can happen is a short period of time. Manifolds and risers clog (with rust) in YEARS instead of minutes.

A temp sensor might give you an indication of raw water pump failure, water pick-up blockage, riser and/or manifold clogging, but you would want to know that maybe a little quicker.

A pressure gage or sensor (I think Mercury may do this on newer engines) on the raw water discharge would give you a much quicker indication of loss of water flow than a temp sensor

Every time I go out, I place my hand on the risers after running a little while to check temps. If I can hold on, there's enough flow, if I can't, there might NOT be enough flow.

There's certainly nothing wrong with measuring the temp of the risers, but some people don't even look at temp, oil, volt or other gages until it quits.

Get one of those temp sensors and gages, try it and let us all know how it works!:encouragement:

Cheers,

Rick

M.A.CCruiser

Seaman
Howdy,

Yeah.........not really. sensors are usually installed to prevent problems that can happen is a short period of time. Manifolds and risers clog (with rust) in YEARS instead of minutes.

A temp sensor might give you an indication of raw water pump failure, water pick-up blockage, riser and/or manifold clogging, but you would want to know that maybe a little quicker.

A pressure gage or sensor (I think Mercury may do this on newer engines) on the raw water discharge would give you a much quicker indication of loss of water flow than a temp sensor

Every time I go out, I place my hand on the risers after running a little while to check temps. If I can hold on, there's enough flow, if I can't, there might NOT be enough flow.

There's certainly nothing wrong with measuring the temp of the risers, but some people don't even look at temp, oil, volt or other gages until it quits.

Get one of those temp sensors and gages, try it and let us all know how it works!:encouragement:

Cheers,

Rick

I guess that makes complete sense - considering the length of time between riser changes the gauge would be over-kill.

Thank you for the input

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... A water Pressure gauge might make more sense,.... a restriction will raise the pressure,....

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Volvo has installed exhaust temp switches on most of their engines since the late 90's, but they are threaded into a boss that's cast into the riser. They help some.