bolt stuck on fresh water reservoir

gregorious

Cadet
I have a 485 mercruiser and it is leaking antifreeze, so I want to change the gaskets but one bolt is stuck and don't want to break it off. Have been taping it with a hammer and punch ( that is how I got two other ones out ) but wont move, can I give it a little heat from a torch or would I cause more damage ?

GasCan II

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you try heat , heat it around the bolt but not the bolt itself. This will expand the metal around the bolt.
Hope this helps ya !

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
heating the cover on the heat exchanger wont do a thing other than burn off the paint. the bolt goes thru the cover, thru the rubber gasket, and into the spider casting.

heat the bolt up, you will melt the rubber gasket. wait until it cools to put a wrench on it. you may have to do this a few times.

if that doesn't work, I would buy another end cap and bolt from Champ Products in Sarasota Florida, use a dremel tool and cut a few holes in the cover, then use penetrating oil on the bolt and re-heat.

gregorious

Cadet
thanks guys but actually a friend with more nerves than me worked the ratchet back and forth and the bolt let go and we got it out without the heat, but if would have tried it would have twisted off for sure ! lol