Swapping to Vortec heads with no cam swap

christoner2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First, I will give the stats of my Boat/Engine combo.
1997 Larson 206 SEi, with a 350 Mercruiser 1.62 ratio drive with a Turning Point 3 blade 21 pitch prop. Runs 55mph on a GPS in good water conditions. Boat is raw water cooled, never used in salt water
Engine was originally a 2bbl, which I swapped to a 4bbl when I bought the boat. I added a Edelbrock 1409 600cfm marine carb at that time
Heads are casting #14096217, 64 cc with what looks like push in style studs
It has the factory Roller cam setup in the boat currently. Manual shows the cam as #431-811658, with .394/.404 lift
Piston are a slight dish with 4 valve reliefs,

What I have is a set of freshened 12558062 Vortec heads, also 64cc.Stock springs and keepers, no upgrades. Pistons on the Vortec engine I got the heads from are the same style as my engine, slight dish, 4 valve reliefs.

Wanting to swap the Vortec heads on, and wondering if a cam swap would be the only way to see a real power increase? Or would the heads/intake be a nice addition alone?

I know I will need a new intake manifold. I have been looking at the Edelbrock Performer(idle-5000rpm) and the RPM Air Gap(1500-6500RPM)

My main questions are, would the original cam be ok, with the head upgrade? Or should I upgrade it? Would I need to change the rocker studs to screw in style, and would a RPM Air Gap be better then a performer Intake? Would like to see about 300hp out of the engine

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Yer lookin' at 'bout a 20hp kick, just from the heads alone,..... a '97 shoulda had 'em already,...

Matchin' Pistons is more important than the cam, when gettin' all there is to get, from the Vortec heads,....

Mirror image pistons at 9.9 or 10:1 static compression,... after that point, it could appreciate alittle more cam,....

christoner2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, in the 1997, they had the regular heads, and the vortec's as well, called the Gen+ in the manuals. Mine is a 1997 Engine with the older style heads. Thanks for the input on the pistons. Will look into getting the Vortec truck Engine I bought rebuilt with that style piston, instead of the standard ones.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
The vortec engine won't have the pistons bondo is talking about.You would have to rebuild a motor with Keith black 18cc dish with a flat top. To mirror the heads..