Welding cast iron block?

Speakrdude

Ensign
Something I was always curious about. Why don't more (or any, for that matter) people simply have a cracked block welded, instead of throwing it away? Obviously, I'm talking about exterior freeze cracks only.
I've read many (and watched many videos) on successful repairs.
Just wanted to hear from one of you professionals out there-

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Weldin' cast iron is alot tougher than most think,....

It would require a tear down to the bare block, 'n our motors ain't at all uncommon, so swappin' makes more sense,....

If you can buy a replacement bare block for $100. bucks, why spend several hundred for a patch job,..??..??

Speakrdude

Ensign
I haven't found a 7.4L gen V block for a $100.00 yet, and I'll be needing two of them! (but got a killer deal on the boat!)
If I go the welding route, it wont be me (amature welder) doing the repair, but someone that has a reputation.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... That's a more expensive block, but by no means a Rare block,....

Honestly, weldin' is a poor option,....
'ell,... JB weld is a better option, 'n is usually slathered over a weld anyways to stop the small leaks that weldin' causes,....

Speakrdude

Ensign
That's a negatory Ghost Rider! Don't believe in the JB for anything important. Probably just replace.

UncleWillie

Captain
When if froze and pushed out the block, Mr. Newton says it also pushed against something on the inside just as hard.
The inner components may not have cracked, but they may have moved slightly and internal alignments may now be incorrect.
A cracked and repaired block will always be questionable.
If the crack can not be make leak-proof fro the outside,without major disassembly, block replacement is advised.

JB Weld or Arc Weld; either one is a temporary measure that may buy you time. Do it right , or do it again.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've heard of more folks having their cracked blocks brazed instead of welded. Cast iron isn't the best material to weld. But many folks have successfully had braze repairs work... But if I had to remove the engine, tear the entire block down so it could be cleaned in prep for brazing or welding, I will most likely buy another block and not take any chances. But that is just me... JMHO!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Something I was always curious about. Why don't more (or any, for that matter) people simply have a cracked block welded, instead of throwing it away? Obviously, I'm talking about exterior freeze cracks only.
I've read many (and watched many videos) on successful repairs.
Just wanted to hear from one of you professionals out there-

It is, of course possible to weld any iron casting.

The problem is, it has to be preheated in a kiln that is big enough to keep it hot enough to be able to weld and not cause stress cracks.

THEN, the casting MUST be slowly "brought down" [temp-wise] so as to not cause additional stresses to produce cracks either in the welded area or in other areas.

The cost to do these things is not small, usually more (or equal) to what a new (or good used) replacement would cost.

Some big diesel engine blocks can be welded because the cost to replace them is much more than the "fix"

But since Chev 350, GM 250 I-6, Ford 302, etc blocks are a "Dime-A-Dozen" (as are certain other marine engine blocks) It's just not worth trying to weld them.

Last edited:

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, you"can"weld a cast iron block. There is a reason that you can't find an oem who allows it, except maybe a few out of China. Welding a block will not be the end of your problems, just the beginning. You will be money and frustration ahead in the long run if you just replace.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
One more time I will repeat my experience with cracked block repairs. I grew up in a Chevy Dealership owned by my Dad. This was back in the day when things were repaired rather than replaced primarily because money was not available for that. This dealership also housed a full machine shop complete with forge, trip hammers, gas and electric welders, a big a$$ drill press, three station grinder, lathe, and everything a repair facility would need to keep farmers and loggers going after they broke stuff. I should also remind you that labor rates were not $90+ per hour either. Tractor blocks tended to crack because once the harvest was done the rigs were parked and antifreeze was typically not checked. So -- depending on where the crack was, if the surface was relatively smooth and did not have compound curves, that area was ground smooth and a small hole drilled at each end of the crack to prevent it's spread. A steel plate about an inch or so bigger than the crack was fashioned and then a series of drilled and tapped holes were closely spaced around the plate. A gasket was made and it and the plate were then bolted to the block. I never saw one of those repairs leak. If one is reasonably handy and has the tools, this is a job a DIYer can do. The down side is the crack needs to be outside only, must be on a relatively open area of the block with no bosses or other protrusions, and the engine would likely need to be pulled for the repair. Modern engines do not generally have large open areas on the block surface so one would have to be very lucky to pull of this fix. However, I saw it work on many occasions back in the day. Unrelated to this, it was not uncommon for someone to knock on our door on a Sunday morning wondering if they could get a part welded while they were in church. In those days, a valve job could be done on a 6-cylinder Chevy in just a couple hours and again, I saw it happen on a Sunday morning. You kept customers happy in those days.