convert a 2010 220hp 5.0 to MPI??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
That is by no means a dumb question, 8 yrs ago when i picked up boating again my first blunder was getting her started...it actually took me taking the carb apart and while rebuilding it did i realize that yes gunner you need to pump the throttle to get her going..:facepalm: After 30 or more years of efi in cars i had completely blown off the concept of insert key pump the pedal and varoom...:watermelon:

Hence the reason I asked the question. TKS is ok, however you are still dealing with a carb with a float, bowl, choke, and accelerator pump. The OP may be making much to do about nothing if it is simply lacking the initial prime and choke set of that all important first throttle push.

revkev6

Seaman
thanks guys, yes, I've played around with the throttle.. varying pumping it etc. I'm no rookie when it comes to carbs... I own a couple hot rods with multiple two barrels bolted on! I've pumped first then cranked. cranked a little, then pumped. tried different throttle positions etc. but it seems that it goes from no gas to completely flooded in no time. then she only starts at 3/4 throttle. I took it back to the dealer (bass pro shops) and asked them to check it out and I got no help. once running it's great. I can hear the TKS hissing... not once have I gotten it to fire cold with the throttle locked at idle.. always needs at least a little throttle if I hit the 1 in 10 shot that I don't flood it.

I would be willing to look at the TKS system further if i could diagnose an issue or adjust it??? I've read about others frustration with it so i figured I would just as soon go to a newer system that would add value to the boat anyway (if I could find it)

thumpar

Admiral
Any money you spend will not add value. I would figure out why it is now working. An mpi setup is going to be $$$$.