convert a 2010 220hp 5.0 to MPI??

revkev6

Seaman
Hey guys, I HATE the TKS 5.0 system on my 2010 motor it never starts right. I would like to get into an EFI system. I have found a complete 2000 5.0mpi engine with everything locally....

1. would this be a viable swap??
2. are there different versions of the injection system for 5.0's,
3. different internals for the carb'd vs injected motors??

any help would be appreciated!

edit: clarification, I am looking to swap all the EFI components onto my low hour 5.0

Last edited:

revkev6

Seaman
I realize it may be cheaper to go that route but I would like to explore the MPI route first.

Thanks

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I have two boats, a Cobalt 226 with a Volvo 350 Throttle body EFI and a FourWinns 18' Volvo 4.3 with a carb. They both start right up and both run very well with no trouble. On the Volvo's you would also have to buy a new 2 pump fuel cell at 700.00. Are you pumping the throttle a couple times before you start it cold? This will help a lot. When you add EFI you invite a lot of electrical problems, trouble codes,just to set it all up right will cost a lot. The carb is a simple system that if kept clean, and adjusted will be at least as trouble free. If I couldn't make it run, I would throw in the towel and take it to someone who could. Good luck Dave-R

Bondo

Staff member
Hey guys, I HATE the TKS 5.0 system on my 2010 motor it never starts right. I would like to get into an EFI system. I have found a complete 2000 5.0mpi engine with everything locally....

1. would this be a viable swap??
2. are there different versions of the injection system for 5.0's,
3. different internals for the carb'd vs injected motors??

any help would be appreciated!

edit: clarification, I am looking to swap all the EFI components onto my low hour 5.0

Ayuh,.... Merc has used a throttle body style, 'n the Mpi,.... I hear the Mpi is the better of the 2,....

The swap should be a piece of cake, so long as ya get ALL the parts, pieces, 'n wirin' harness,....

No differences in the long block motors,...

revkev6

Seaman
Ok... I found out the 2000 motor was throttle body not mpi.. anyone know what year 5.0 motors went mpi?

Fun Times

Staff member
Ok... I found out the 2000 motor was throttle body not mpi.. anyone know what year 5.0 motors went mpi?
Either system will work/swap over as long as you get everything (including throttle linkage) to do so. If you go MPI (late 2002 + year model) than you will also need to swap the intake manifold which is a two part system.

On the MPI, You will also have to use the crankshaft sensor and switch to the later style distributor assembly. You also have to know if the engine PCM was designed for a bravo or Alpha stern drive as there are internal differences. The sensor should already be installed on the engine under/behind the harmonic balancer...If not then there should be a place to mount the sensor at the front cover area and the crankshaft reluctor/timer wheel mounted on the crankshaft should already be in place to read the sensor.

The 2000 system would be a bit easier to switch over as I believe you shouldn't have to switch the intake manifold to bolt on the TBI and the distributor you have now could still be used.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectSerailRange.asp?doc_nbr=5.0L+MPI+ALPHA/BRAVO
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectSerailRange.asp?doc_nbr=5.0L+EFI++GM+305+V-8++1999-2001

revkev6

Seaman
I have no problem swapping everything over.. intake Included.. I've been trying to find a cracked block that someone is parting out to get everything.

I have heard the differences in alpha and bravo drives.. like the shift interupter... but do they put 5.0 motors in front of bravo drives??

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
If your trying to convert to a tbi system it could be done quite easily just mount the sensor's and bolt on the manifold. However you must be made aware that parts are no longer readily available for that old tbi stuff, mefi3 ecm are gone....check out the volvo engine part schematic's you will notice they dont even post the old part number's making it impossbile to cross over to some currently made part. I'm the first on who luv's to tinker but i can tell you your walking into a expensive can or worm's. Then you would have to retune your ecm the list is endless Google 5.0 GI PEFS that should be close to your vintage and try to find parts for the fuel system its will be quite telling.

revkev6

Seaman

ok.. hopefully it's not a popular option... can't really see many people choosing a 260hp 5.0 behind a bravo... but I'm sure it happens if its available.

I don't have any experience with looking at the manuals... I guess I am going to have to get really cozy with them if I do this...

Does anyone know what the differences are with the newer catalyst equipped models (besides the exhaust system)?? when did they start putting them on? are they a setup I should stay away from?? right now it looks like I'm going to be hunting for a 2002+ 5.0 mpi alpha 1 and like I said I'm hoping to find a part out scenario....

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
If your trying to put something together stay away from merc or be forewarned there 555 software has not been cracked and is very expensive to reprogram...around 1500/2000 for a new tune.

thumpar

Admiral
ok.. hopefully it's not a popular option... can't really see many people choosing a 260hp 5.0 behind a bravo... but I'm sure it happens if its available.

My 250hp 5.7l EFI has a Bravo behind it. It is not that uncommon. If it were me I would switch to a regular carb or just sell the boat and buy one with what you want already installed.

revkev6

Seaman
If your trying to put something together stay away from merc or be forewarned there 555 software has not been cracked and is very expensive to reprogram...around 1500/2000 for a new tune.

not looking for a retune... I just want the stock 260hp MPI system.

anyone see an actual boat with a 5.0 and a bravo?? maybe something in a bigger boat with a dual engine??

I'm putting this in a 2010 tahoe Q7i... it runs fine as is... just a bit finiky to start. with the 220hp she runs about 50mph. it's a light boat for a 21ft.

thumpar

Admiral

anyone see an actual boat with a 5.0 and a bravo?? maybe something in a bigger boat with a dual engine??

I'm putting this in a 2010 tahoe Q7i... it runs fine as is... just a bit finiky to start. with the 220hp she runs about 50mph. it's a light boat for a 21ft.
Not in person but yes online. They even put them behind 4.3l engines.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Friend's 2009 Maxum 26 foot express- single 5.0 MPI and Bravo 3. Works fine.

Fun Times

Staff member
Does anyone know what the differences are with the newer catalyst equipped models (besides the exhaust system)??
Wiring harnesses, completely different PCM design, O2 sensors in the exhaust system, 2 types of throttle body's; to start with.

When did they start putting them on? are they a setup I should stay away from?? right now it looks like I'm going to be hunting for a 2002+ 5.0 mpi alpha 1 and like I said I'm hoping to find a part out scenario....
California started using EC on some engine models in 2008 while the rest of the USA started using EC in 2010.

revkev6

Seaman
thanks fun times... So I'm looking for a 2002-2009 MPI system for a 5.0 alpha with all the parts and gizmos for cheap! easy peasy right :laugh:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
This may be a dumb question, however are you giving it a full shot of throttle prior to starting if it has been sitting for a week or two? Had to do that with my TKS and it started every time. If it sat for more than 5 weeks, would take about 10 seconds of cranking to refill the float bowl.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
This may be a dumb question, however are you giving it a full shot of throttle prior to starting if it has been sitting for a week or two? Had to do that with my TKS and it started every time. If it sat for more than 5 weeks, would take about 10 seconds of cranking to refill the float bowl.

That is by no means a dumb question, 8 yrs ago when i picked up boating again my first blunder was getting her started...it actually took me taking the carb apart and while rebuilding it did i realize that yes gunner you need to pump the throttle to get her going..:facepalm: After 30 or more years of efi in cars i had completely blown off the concept of insert key pump the pedal and varoom...:watermelon: