engine oil

jrisebo

Seaman Apprentice
Who here uses the quicksilver oils in their engines? They used that in my new engine, wondering if I should always be using it
Jim

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... You can run pretty much Any oil off the shelf that says "Motor Oil" on it, 'n it won't hurt yer motor one bit,......

Which oil, is a never endin' argument on forums,... search it up, 'n you'll be readin' for days,....

I run Rotella 15W-40 in the fleet of barges I maintain, includin' My own personal fishin' barge,.... ;)

I'll move this to the non-repair I/O forum for ya,....

tpenfield

Staff member
Pennzoil, Rotella, . . . whatever premium oil I can get at a decent price.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I will just add this......what ever works best for you. I have used a couple different brands of oil in my 1983 3.0, due to age it does leak a little so I have diapers under the engine to absorb oil and not disperse it to the lake via the bilge water. However I have found that I use far less oil by using the quicksilver brand. I typically go thru about a quart during the season with quicksilver, but used 2-3 quarts per season with the other brands. WHY? I don't know....but in my area the quicksilver is only a couple dollars more per gallon so.....it costs me less in the long run. Just my two cents worth.....

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Actually agree with what everyone here said. If I couldn't get Quicksilver easily, or if it was ridiculously more expensive than the others, I would probably be using Rotella or similar. BUT, given the fact that QS is available at WalMart, and the cost of an ANNUAL oil change is all of $7.00 more expensive per engine.... I'll use what the factory recommends.

My .02

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Wow, several days without an oil thread! I was beginning to worry!

Who here uses the quicksilver oils in their engines? They used that in my new engine, wondering if I should always be using it
Jim

All kidd'n aside, to answer your question specifically, There actually IS a marine spec (NMMA FC-W) for 4-stroke engine motor oil. Mercury Quicksilver (and MANY others) meet that spec.

If you would like to read all about it, knock yourself out!! http://www.nmma.org/certification/ce.../oil/fc-w.aspx

People have used literally everything out there including all the multi-grade syn and NON-syn oils available successfully for many years.

Just about all the oil related problems are more related to NEVER changing it (at all) or NOT changing it on some sort of regular basis as opposed to what brand/type is used etc. (Brand is a much more emotional thing for some people....."Here's what I use ....and I've never had a problem" )

If you use any brand that has the correct [manufacturer recommended] API service classification, it will really not matter whose name is on the container......

Regards,

Rick

Fun Times

Staff member
I've been waiting for an oil topic to pop up so I can pass along some info I learned a week or two ago about who sells the oil to Mercruiser. A company called Bel-Ray. http://www.belray.com/powersports/products/marine

Below is a quote that I ran across on another boating forum,
Merc HI Perf gear oil is not a syn oil. It is made by Bel Ray and is Bel Ray lowest blend for gear Oil - I am not saying lowest in a bad way but for Bel Ray it is on their bottom Tier for gear oils on the marine side. I have the Spec sheet on it as well.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Opinion forums are quite interesting aren't they though?

That guy on the other board clearly made a statement about Belray products that of course, may or may not be accurate.

Here's what Belray says about their own "marine" synthetic gear oil. [ http://www.belray.com/marine-synthetic-gear-oil-0 ]
[h=1]Marine Synthetic Gear Oil[/h]
Marine Synthetic Gear Oil is a high performance, environmentally safe, full synthetic gear oil engineered specifically for marine applications. It uses the most advanced Extreme Pressure additives to deliver superior protection for high torque/high horsepower marine engines. Marine Synthetic Gear Oil uses an industry first Antimony-free formula for an eco-friendly solution to your gear oil needs. It is GL-5 performance rated and exceeds the requirements of all major OEM engine manufacturers.

Belray has a huge line of lubricants and fuels etc.
They were acquired by Calumet in 2013. http://fuelsandlubes.com/flw/calumet-specialty-products-acquires-bel-ray-co-inc/

http://www.calumetspecialty.com/

Since there is NO NMMA specification for gear oil, they all just say it exceeds ( or meets) API GL-5 specs....

Belray is just like all the other lubricant and fuel producers.

They produce the product, they label the containers with MANY different brand names, and WE BUY IT!

Some of us buy one brand name and others buy "other" brand names.

Many of us (me included!!) buy particular brand names...............

Anyone feel a little manipulated by the "MAN" yet?

jrisebo

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks.
I have usually used Mobil 1 synthetic....perhaps stick with that.