Tried to get on the water this weekend...O

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Had some shoulder surgery, so out of action x 4 months. Behind on so many projects now.
Anyway, had the outdrive off for the winter. Just got around to replacing the impeller and putting the drive back on. Issues:
1. Dead battery. 5 years old, left it in the boat all winter. Not a huge surprise here. Would start the first time after being on a charger, but not after that. Didn't want to take the fam/friends out like that.
2. Trim issues. Needed to jump the terminals. Found a blown fuse. Replaced, had a clicking solenoid. Whacked with a metal wrench, had another blown fuse. Replaced it with a 10a because I ran out of non-essential circuits, eventually blew that as well. Going to replace the solenoids and battery, use a proper 20A, and see if it's still there. Wiring looks OK.
3. Stalling coming out of gear. Removed the lower shift cable, it did not shift easily. Thinking that leaving it exposed to the elements all winter was not my smartest move. Worked it back and forth, which got it loose enough to shift without stalling. Should have checked that before replacing the drive. Hopefully this will last the season...
4. Noticed I was down 8-16 oz coolant. Pulled the plugs before turning over, and had some AF shooting from #3/4. Have been chasing this manifold/riser leak forever. Looks like I'll be taking that apart again.
5. Temp didn't rise much, maybe getting to 140 on my gauge. That's lower than normal, though water temps were a bit cool (67'). Will probably just replace the tstat when I do the gaskets again.

On the plus side, once I replaced the plugs it fired right up, and I hit 45 mph (not WOT) with 2 others on board before backing off. Parts on order for this weekend, Always something.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
4. Noticed I was down 8-16 oz coolant. Pulled the plugs before turning over, and had some AF shooting from #3/4. Have been chasing this manifold/riser leak forever. Looks like I'll be taking that apart again.
Can't remember what engine you have. (470?) I guess they don't have "Dry-Joints" for a '470?

I wish I had them for my 454! I have "block-off' riser gaskets that will always eventually leak. The 350 and 496 engine manifolds/risers are available in dry-joint style. I wish they'd all go that way!!

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Yes, 470. No, no dry joints. And expensive manifolds/risers/etc, if I can find them. Got the new solenoids on (note to self: wiring is not as obvious going on as it looks when disconnecting), new battery, and new fuses (note to self 2: fuse amperage is not as obvious when replacing as it is when you're stealing them for another circuit). Everything fired up nicely, working well, no water in the outdrive after last weekend (I didn't pressure test).
...And, nobody wanted to go for a boat ride. Had friends in town, everybody just wanted to hang out and ride around on the skiff. Fine. This weekend we'll try it out for sure. Hopefully that shift cable has un-stickified. New gaskets on the way, gonna have to find some time to do that.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Turned out I had rubbed through a wire on the back harness, causing an intermittent short. At least the trim is working fine now. SIS isn't tripping anymore, although I'm having a problem with some slop in the system, so different issue.