cool way to easily change your oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamantia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my last boat had a chevy 350 in it and i would change the oil at the end of every boating season. I bought the mercury hand pump. I would screw it on and pump until my arm got tired and usualy drip a bit into the bilge.

The boat i recently picked up has a 454 and when i went to pump the oil out the pump was unable to draw any oil despite the stick showing full. I checked the pump connection and it seemd tight. I inspected the dip stick tube and where it entered the pan i saw evidence of RTV where the previous owner tried to seal the tube. All i could draw was air. No oil. I couldnt even see the drain plug on the pan let alone access it.

I put a pan inder my oil filter and removed the oil filter then i pulled the distributor out. I used my dewalt to spin the oil pump and pushed all 6 quarts into the pan i placed under the filter in about 40 seconds.

I lubed the seal of the new filter and put it on dry. I put a funnel in the distributor hole and poured 6 quarts of oil into the hole. I removed the funnel put my dewalt back in the hole and proceded to prime the filter and engine for about another minute. I dropped the distributor back in and lined the timing up by eye. Ill have to set the timing once i go to start it but this to me was way easier.

im sorry if this method has been used before. Im rather new to boating. I just found this easier and never heard of anyone doing this before so i thought id share. or at least if anyone also has a poorly sealed dipstick tube like i did this is a pretty easy option

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well that's one way to do it. Good idea, boats really should be outfitted with an easier to change oil system, maybe nipple you thread a bolt past with a tube to stick through the drain plug, I've thought about it once a year for a day, and still can't figure out how to make it seal like that

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
My boat has that hose built in where you drain it through the transom drain plug. It takes forever. I use a 12 volt oil change pump that has a tube that goes all the way down into the dipstick tube.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My boat has that hose built in where you drain it through the transom drain plug. It takes forever. I use a 12 volt oil change pump that has a tube that goes all the way down into the dipstick tube.
Do you warm up the engine first?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The piece on the right of the picture replaces your drain plug.
27861_L1.JPG

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No Title

I use a mityvac vacuume/pressure unit. Warm it up,pull the oil through the dipstick tube. The hoses that come with it slide right to the bottom of the pan. I use them when needed,but mostly I use a clear flexible line that attaches to the tube snugly. No issues,easy cleanup....hopefully my pic shows up.

Attachments

• photo221636.jpg
    photo221636.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0

alamantia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The piece on the right of the picture replaces your drain plug.
27861_L1.JPG

Did you read the part in my post where I cant see or access my drain plug. How would this hose be easier if I cant attach it to my pan? I must be missing something.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Did you read the part in my post where I cant see or access my drain plug. How would this hose be easier if I cant attach it to my pan? I must be missing something.
I must be missing something where you are on here asking for help. I won't help you anymore.

BTW, your diptube sucking would never work since the tube doesn't extend even to the level to the oil let alone to the bottom of the pan and the oil pump method will NOT get all the oil out so you better come up with something else.

Last edited:

alamantia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I must be missing something where you are on here asking for help. I won't help you anymore.

BTW, your diptube sucking would never work since the tube doesn't extend even to the level to the oil let alone to the bottom of the pan and the oil pump method will NOT get all the oil out so you better come up with something else.

Where did I ask for help?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have a Mercruiser 454 engine and I have that hose connected to the bottom of my pan at the drain.

Is it accessible.......... and no, I cannot see mine either but I can reach it which is how I installed the hose. I use a (Moeller)pump like the Mityvac grub1grub2 uses and it gets it all in minutes.........hot or cold, 18 strokes on the Moeller pump is all that's needed and while it's "sucking", I do the filter etc........

Installing the pan-drain hose ONCE is FAR easier than R&R'ing the distributor and resetting the timing every time you change the oil and you do not have to "prime" the oil system.

I do fill the filter before I screw it on though, but (automotive and marine) engines go thousands of hours without having the filter or oil system being primed every time the oil is changed.

You're right, you didn't ask for help. But you did suggest a "non-standard" way of changing the oil that will not get it all since the oil pickup and screen does not go to the bottom of the pan.

So any water or other contaminants in the pan stay there. Offering your "technique" here, is asking for comments by default, You should expect to get criticism, positive or negative. Most of us here offer unsolicited help to those we might call "low information boaters".... You did say you were "new" to boating
Im rather new to boating. I just found this easier and never heard of anyone doing this before so i thought id share.

No one is forcing you to do it their way but we'll all probably tell you if your way is not a "good" way and most of us will be respectful and polite doing it. However, I'll apologize in advance, for those that aren't.......

Regards,

Rick

alamantia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You are right...you didn't.

Hopefully, I helped someone though!

I am new to boating and I read a lot of threads and have learned a lot from others experiences. There is even one I read from Bond-O about a thermostat housing that I never would have knew I was going to make a mistake in installing it but because I read a post of his I learned something that prevented me from doing it wrong.

I was facing a problem the other day on how to get the oil out but couldn't find a post on here on how to get around a dipstick not sealing. I thought I found a clever way around my problem and thought that I would return the favor by making a post on how I faced a problem and solved a problem in hopes it may help someone one day that's all. It was not a challenge. Rather than simply reading my idea and not commenting, you felt that you had to tell me there are easier ways by showing me a hose that I cant see or access to install. Whatever. I thought maybe it screwed onto someplace else I was unaware of. It was an honest question. I signed up to get help and I tried to give help. I don't want to get into debates or fights, heck, I let the inaccuracy of your dipstick tube statement go.

As an FYI, my dipstick tube has threads on the end of it for a hand pump to screw on. The dipstick tube does go below the oil level, that's how it works. Mercruiser makes the dipstick tube this way to thread onto a hand pump. I changed my oil in my last boat many times using a hand pump. And as for the oil pump method, if you are referring to my write up with using my cordless drill to spin the oil pump to push out the oil. I am pretty sure the pickup tube on the oil pum goes pretty deep into the pan, I think that's the design intent. I'm pretty sure it sucked out a substantial amount of oil. There will always be residual oil left over in an engine no matter which method of oil change is performed. The only way to get all the oil out of an engine would be to flush it.

Anyway, I will be careful to not make posts in the future.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You pumped out 6 qts. You still have 1-2 qts left in your pan. Personally, I would pick a different method.

If your dipstick tube has a threaded hose fitting on it, that engine didn't come with that.

Last edited:

alamantia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You pumped out 6 qts. You still have 1-2 qts left in your pan. Personally, I would pick a different method.

If your dipstick tube has a threaded hose fitting on it, that engine didn't come with that.

I have original discolored 1988 mercruiser manual that was given to me with the boat along with much other paperwork that says you are wrong yet again.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have original discolored 1988 mercruiser manual that was given to me with the boat along with much other paperwork that says you are wrong yet again.

FYI,

Mercruiser parts(dot)com indicates in their parts diagrams 2 different (stamped & cast) pans for 1988-1991 7.4L engines. Both pictorials indicate a dipstick tube MINUS the threaded top end. That probably doesn't necessarily mean it's not there but one would think it wasn't by the picture. It also doesn't mean one couldn't use a small plastic tube inserted into the dipstick tube (which most of those vac pumps come with)

Either way, it's an 8qt pan.

Getting 6qts via the oil pump pickup means you're leaving oil in the pan where there may still be other "stuff" left too. You wouldn't want the oil pickup to suction oil from the bottom of the pan to prevent pickup of debris, or other various particulate matter. So by design, you shouldn't be able to get all the oil via the oil pump pickup, AND I would hope it wouldn't anyway. I wouldn't want that stuff going through the oil pump....Yes, the filter would(or should) catch it.

But if there was enough "stuff" in the bottom of the pan and it was always getting picked up by the oil pump via the pickup, it would possibly plug the oil filter at some point and the bypass would open sending it directly to the bearings.

Also, there's a minimum safe level for normal operation.

You don't want to uncover the oil pickup either but it's not so low as to pull off the bottom of the sump

Also, if your pan is the cast pan, it already connects to the drain plug hole using a fitting. So in theory,using suction, you would get ALL the oil (and "stuff") that would normally drain out through it.

cool way to easily change your oil
Actually no. Removing the dist and turning the oil pump is a pretty bad way of doing it for more than a couple of reasons..........

//

Last edited:

alamantia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a stamped pan.
I have a threaded dipstick tube
I have no access to the drain plug that I can see without lifting the engine due to the position of my stringers
I removed 6 quarts and have no way of knowing how many quarts were in the pan to begin with
I don't own a pump & tube that goes down the dipstick tube
I needed to get the oil out of the pan
This is the way I came up with in a pinch, I don't see how using an oil pump to pump oil is a bad way of doing it so I am going to continue on doing it. Nobody else in the world has to do it this way, I was only stating how I did it, and I like it. I am unsure why nobody can realize my intent and why I am now defending it. I like my idea and that's all that matters. I have learned a lot about the forums and I have wasted enough of my time. Remove oil from your boat whichever way you like when you cant access the drain plug and cant suck oil through the dipstick tube and don't have a tube and a pump.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
II don't see how using an oil pump to pump oil is a bad way of doing it so
Hey good for you.

Using AN oil pump, I.E. suction, vac type pump either through the dipstick tube or pan drain is really good....... .......but using the oil pickup via the engine driven oil pump not so much.

Since this is a "public" forum, I am just suggesting that no one else do it that way because oil below the pickup screen is left in the pan.

I think most of us changing the oil would want to get the oil there, since that's where most of the contaminates that settle out would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.