Help with repair cost estimate?

terrtbone

Recruit
I have a 1989 Glastron Futura with the mercruiser alpha one sterndrive. It started leaking gear oil out of it when I put it away for the winter. I am not a mechanic nor do I have the proper tools to do it myself, So I took it to the boat shop to fix it. They called me back and told me they had the lower unit apart but the upper failed the pressure test.
The mechanic said to do this was quite extensive and would take 5 hours labor and the total cost with parts to get it back together would be $1000.
This sound high to me especially when I have seen replacement sterndrives for $1300 to $1500. Does this sound like a normal estimate?
I am only looking for a price range. I live in Washington state.
​Thanks for any advice.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the shop needs to give you a better explanation on what needs to be done.

terrtbone

Recruit
The lower seals and pump are shot due to overheating. This also took out the upper seal. They Said that the pressure test failed on the upper unit and the upper seal had to be replaced. That is where we are at. I have not given them the go ahead.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the upper carrier seal is around $14 ,takes about an hour to install. the upper shaft seals are around $20 or so. once the gears are out ,takes 10 minutes to install
them, the water pump base comes with all the seals installed. no reason to disassemble a lower unit for seals

terrtbone

Recruit
This didn't really answer the question. you tell me the parts are inexpensive, but I was asking about the total for a shop to disassemble / reassemble upper and lower section with parts, time and labor. Just a ballpark figure. I am just a longtime boater not a mechanic. You can call me an idiot, that's OK. This boat shop must also think I am. This is part of my research to make an educated decision.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Ask the shop for a detailed break down of the repairs including parts and labor separate from each other. If they will give it to you. You could then compare the repair cost by checking with other shops in your area. However some may charge flat rate for the repair versus parts plus labor so it may be hard to get a good breakdown. I believe the previous owner of my Stratos had new upper and lower seals as well as lower gears replaced in our Cobra outdrive for just shy of $900 three years ago. Seemed like a fair price to me, but I could be wrong.

Bondo

Staff member
This didn't really answer the question. you tell me the parts are inexpensive, but I was asking about the total for a shop to disassemble / reassemble upper and lower section with parts, time and labor. Just a ballpark figure. I am just a longtime boater not a mechanic. You can call me an idiot, that's OK. This boat shop must also think I am. This is part of my research to make an educated decision.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... That's because this is a Diy site, not a repair estimate site,......

We can talk ya through the repairs,.....

None of Us are gonna stick our necks out, goin' after somebody else's estimates,.........

I can tell ya, a brand new replacement SEI drive is usually cheaper than havin' an ole drive rebuilt,......

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I charge $200 to do a water pump service. It includes R/R the drive W/ gasket, new pump kit, oil, upper teardown and bearing inspection.And additional parts are extra.Its already apart so labor to install the seals is minimal.Zincs are not included
Even under the most severe overheats I have done ,just the pump base is destroyed

Last edited:

terrtbone

Recruit
Thank you everyone for your answers.
I am sorry Bondo. I did not read anywhere that said this was a DIY forum. I read many posts before I posted and there were many that asked these types of questions. I will gratuitously end this post and thank everyone again.

Fun Times

Staff member
What's the shops labor rate? Being Washington, it's probably around $100.00+ an hour.

Since they seemed to have removed all the general internal parts to the drive (upper and lower units) 5 hours would be about correct for the upper and lower units seals including R & Ring the drive from the boat. If it's just 5 hours for just the upper housing seals, than they are going by flat rate like it's a total rebuild (gears, etc.) because the upper and lower flat rate is usually around 9 hours for total rebuild. So that wouldn't be right to charge 5 for upper seals only.

Just the upper alone you're looking at roughly $77.58 in seals/O-rings listed on the parts catalogs,
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...r=70&bdesc=DRIVESHAFT+HOUSING+AND+DRIVE+GEARS
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...br=80&bdesc=DRIVESHAFT+HOUSING+AND+DRIVESHAFT

Then you have about $30.00 in gear oil and $10.00 for the gasket set to mount the drive to the bell housing.

The lower unit seals, O-rings, water pump kit would be somewhere around $121.93.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...=120&bdesc=GEAR+HOUSING(PROPELLER+SHAFT)+-+MR
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...shaft%29+%2D+R

So roughly $239.51 in parts + tax and miscellaneous supplies then labor.

terrtbone

Recruit
Thank you Fun Times!!!! This is the answer I was was looking for. BTW - You are right $109/hr.
Tnstatofam, thank you for you answer also. This is very helpful.
I want to thank all of you nice people for taking you time to help out a fellow boater THANK YOU!​
By chating with boaters that have been through this before, I believe that I can move forward with the repairs and I now have different options to choose from. (Rebuild or new replacement).