Will it freeze?

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer
Good morning. Have a quick question for you guys. I realize you people can't predict the future, but I'm open to "educated guesses". I will be launching my SeaRay today and am planning on leaving it in the water all weekend. The forecast overnight lows are 4*c, 6*c and 1*c. Is this playing with fire or ice in this case? Do i need to pull it and drain it?

Thanks for advice.........

Ken

Alumarine

Captain
You don't say where you are but in the same conditions as you I would leave my boat in and not worry too much if I didn't drain the block and manifolds.
It takes colder temps than that and for a longer duration to cause damage. Most of the time...
It only takes me 1 minute to drain them so I tend to in the spring and fall.

If you leave the drive in the down position in the water that will help as well.

Bondo

Staff member
The forecast overnight lows are 4*c, 6*c and 1*c.

Ayuh,.... If it ain't gettin' to below freezin', it Can't freeze,....

It would have to be 0?c to -3?c for a few hours to do any harm,....

thumpar

Admiral
I keep my freezer at -4c and it still takes a couple hours to freeze an ice cube. You should be fine. Even if it got to 0c I would think it would take many hours to freeze it enough to cause damage.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I will be launching my SeaRay today and am planning on leaving it in the water all weekend. The forecast overnight lows are 4*c, 6*c and 1*c. Is this playing with fire or ice in this case? Do i need to pull it and drain it?................................I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Thanks for the responses.

I guess those Canuck Weather forecasters are "better" than the Yank forecasters down "below"....................

If they're forecasting 1C, could they be a tad off? (the wrong way?)
http://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/Canada/Manitoba/Winnipeg/climate-profile.aspx

Maybe I'm too conservative but if I could pull it and drain it, I might do it if temps were forecast to be even *near* freezing..............having it in the water probably gives you several more "degrees" of protection too......

Cheers,

Rick

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I think you did the right thing, 1*C is close enough, if they were off a bit or it was that cold longer than what they said it could be a problem.