First Time Crank Up For The Year

Swampmouse2

Seaman
Hi Guys,
Last summer I bought the first I/O boat I have ever had. Just as an FYI, it is a 1992 Yamaha 4.3 6cyl. on the chevy smalI block but this isn't really an outdrive specific question.
It ran great all summer. I winterized it, literally removing all hoses (really more for inspection and a little bit of paranoia) and opening all drain plugs. I pulled her out on Saturday to install a new impeller and crank it up on the muffs and could not get it to crank up. I even sprayed some starter fluid in there a few times to try to see if it would come back to life, but it wouldn't. It turns over beautifully, but not cranking. I've never really had this issue with any of my outboards.

Another note that may be important: I don't think I was running any Stabil in the gas on that last tank. I DID have Sea Foam in there, but I found out after I had winterized it that Sea Foam wouldn't protect it from water getting into the gas like Stabil does. I did add some Stabil to the tank, after the above mentioned realization, so hopefully the gas in the tank isn't all bad. I am afraid that I may have clogged up my carb with gunk by not having Stabil in there when ran last. I THINK I fogged the carb....but that may have been my outboard......wish I had written it down!

My question is this: is it typically hard to get an I/O to crank up in the spring. Are there any special things I need to do to get it to crank up this first time??

( I know I need spark and fuel, but ran out of time Saturday afternoon to check spark).My suspect if fuel, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!
SM

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Kill switch? The one on the throttle /forward/ reverse control. Check for spark too.

southkogs

Staff member
If you're not getting at least a "try" to start using the starting fluid, then I would make sure you're getting spark to the plugs.

Swampmouse2

Seaman
Kill switch! Arrrrrrghhhhhhh. TOTALLY never crossed my mind. I bet that's it. I will try tonight! Thanks so much!!!
SM

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Kill switch! Arrrrrrghhhhhhh. TOTALLY never crossed my mind. I bet that's it. I will try tonight! Thanks so much!!!
SM

If that's the problem, you will be far from the first person to overlook the kill switch, trust me...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Did you replace the fuel filter (big water separating one that looks like an oil filter)? If so, did you fill it mostly with gas? If not sometimes its hard for the pump to pull gas through it if its totally empty. If you did not fill it with gas, carefully remove it, dump the old gas into a jar and let it sit. See if there is water on the bottom, or other debris. If so you might have to get the tank cleaned. If not then get a new filter, and fill it CAREFULLY about 3/4 full of gas and then oil the gasket (Just like when you change an oil filter). Reinstall it hand tight only. Make sure no gas spilled BEFORE trying to start it.
BTW:
Cranking over = engine turning from engaging the starter, but may not start unless you have spark, fuel and compression
Firing=cranking over and it sounds like its going to start.

Swampmouse2

Seaman
BIG THANKS to PoconoJoe!!! I felt like suck an idiot. I. Had left the kill ms witch on. My other set of keys hanging other house, and it didn't even cross my mind! I put it on, and it fired up on the first turn of the key.
But, as I let it run, I was hearing a little squeak....and then saw some smoke from the impeller housing. I don't think I had the water on high enough, and wasn't getting water from the muffs to the impeller. I am sure I cooked it, but at least I already have a spare that I ordered a couple weeks ago. I was I know what. I'm doing tomorrow.
Is there any reason other than the water not being turned up enough to not have gotten any water up there to the impeller? Could that mean that the sea water pump may be bad? I would say I ran it for about 3-4 minutes and the motor still had not come up to temp yet.

Thanks!
SM