Power steering fluid

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Probley beating this question to death but......
What should I be using for power steering fluid on my 96 5.7 lx with an alpha 1?
Have a leak in the bilge and want to replace fluid so I can find the leak
Fluid seems to be more brown than red,

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
you can also get photo luminescent dye from NAPA and use a black-light. I believe they sell a kit specifically for power steering systems.

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I should be using sae 30 motor oil in my power steering resivor ? Just making sure I read that correctly

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I would think power steering fluid would be the logical choice, plus being red is unmistakable for engine oil or gear oil

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Whats wrong with good ole power steering fluid? Thats all I use or atf but my boat is also 10 years older.

boatermarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
trans fluid will work too,but the oil is thicker and might not leak,or find leak,and use that clear power steering fluid.lucas makes that good additive stuff,that will stop about any leak.oil works though

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
So it is ok to use sae 30 motor oil?......thought that was a no no

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I've heard of people using it before, but one thing to keep in mind. Hydraulic fluid and lubricating oil can have VASTLY different requirements and qualities. Power steering is a low temperature hydraulic system.

Fun Times

Staff member
sae 30 wt oil
Sorry Scott, but were you thinking of something different other than power steering or maybe some sort of trick to slow a P/S leak. :confused:

So I should be using sae 30 motor oil in my power steering resivor ? Just making sure I read that correctly
No it's best to stay with a thinner fluid such as automatic transmission fluid (ATF) or power steering fluid either found at an auto parts store or either Mercruiser or Sierra marine power trim and steering fluid works well too. http://www.iboats.com/Search/dm/?key...ch_submit.y=21

Heavier oil could have a bad affect on your complete steering system plus it's typically considered best to not mix oils when possible.

Engine oil vs power steering fluid - Answers.com

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
VP's have been using SAE 30 or 10w-30 for years. Mercruiser has as used it as well for some years. Quick Silver 92-858077k01 is SAE 0W-30. Power steering fluid is actually SAE 10 with red (or green) dye added.

if the OP's original fluid is brown, it is either engine oil (light brown), or burnt ATF (dark brown).

now, could someone in the past have put engine oil in vs power steering fluid - sure. however the gerotor pump used in power steering circuits doesnt really care until the viscosity gets extremely high (as in -40 degrees) where it would go over relief. however the boat wont function at that temp since the water would have long turned to ice, so low temp viscosity is not an issue.