Engine Oil recommendations

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I have read all over about recommendations on oil, not to use auto oil(haha yea ok) not to you synthetic etc. I have read though that a very popular brand is the RotellaT by Shell 15w-40 for Diesel Engines. True? I have a 3.7L Mercruiser 165hp engine, upgrades heat exchanger from 3-4". Can I use this oil?

alldodge

Staff member
So I have read all over about recommendations on oil, not to use auto oil(haha yea ok) not to you synthetic etc. I have read though that a very popular brand is the RotellaT by Shell 15w-40 for Diesel Engines. True? I have a 3.7L Mercruiser 165hp engine, upgrades heat exchanger from 3-4". Can I use this oil?

OK its :popcorn: time

There is nothing wrong with "auto" oil. Sure you can use diesel oil and with that you get more zinc in the oil. Zinc is good but not necessary in most cases, but will not hurt anything. Look for the API certification on the back of the oil. The 3.7 is an engine I don't discus because there are others hear more qualified. That said, I have used straight 40W in my engines for years because I only boat in warm weather. When I recently took it apart, it looked great inside.

I will be using Castrol 20W50 in my new engine because the engine builder says this is what he uses. I'm pushing over 500HP and he is warranting the engine, so I'll use for now what he recommends.

Use what you wish but keep the W40 on the top number

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

Since motor oil is an emotional issue for many, we just cannot resist oil threads!!.....do a search and you'll find literally thousands of them on all types of forums....(there's even a forum dedicated to motor oils and lubricants.... BITOG!!!)

If you do not want to use Mercruiser (or Volvo/OMC etc) recommended oils, You can use pretty much any modern oil you desire.

There are NMMA certified "Marine Spec" oils, indicated below, if you want to educate yourself on them...

https://www.nmma.org/certification/certification/oil/fc-w.aspx

The fact of the matter is, marine engines usually fail due to poor (or no) maintenance.
I don't think there are many that fail due to using the wrong "flavor" of motor oil

Regards,

Rick

alldodge

Staff member
Yeah........there ought to be a "Sticky"!!!!!

But few people read them........................

\\

What's a sticky :D and where are they :bounce:, just kidding

Ya know if everyone read the sticky's we all would have a lot less to do. :high5: