Rerouting Exhaust on mercruiser outdrive

thestigmach1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1969 Santee V with a mercruiser 160hp in it. Im wanting to run exhaust out the sides of the hull instead of through the outdrive. Is this something that is relatively easy and inexpensive to change or is it stuck how it is.

Bondo

Staff member
I have a 1969 Santee V with a mercruiser 160hp in it. Im wanting to run exhaust out the sides of the hull instead of through the outdrive. Is this something that is relatively easy and inexpensive to change or is it stuck how it is.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Anything is possible with enough ambition, 'n money,.....

Though in yer case it would be a waste of both,.....

In-line motors sound like a tractor with open exhaust,.....

Last edited:

thestigmach1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I actually really like that pop corn type sound. Do I need to buy an entire kit or just disconnect from where it runs now and do a custom fab.It's proving very hard to find after market stuff for this boat as old as it is.

Bondo

Staff member
I actually really like that pop corn type sound. Do I need to buy an entire kit or just disconnect from where it runs now and do a custom fab.It's proving very hard to find after market stuff for this boat as old as it is.

Ayuh,... Yer facin' several problems with yer plan,....

#1, the exhaust riser points straight down, into the down-pipe,.... 'n I doubt you'll find a riser that points in any other direction,....

#2, you'd need to pull the motor, to remove the down-pipe, 'n build a block-off plate to cover it's hole to the drive,.....

#3, when yer done, dependin' on where ya go boatin', you'll be lookin' at gettin' thrown off the water, 'n payin' big fines for excessive noise,...

#4, everybody else on yer water is gonna Hate yer guts,....

Yer lucky to find Any parts for such an old driveline,.....

There is no "Kit",... You'll be one-off engineerin' yer own mess,...

Lastly,.... There is NO Up-side,....

Last edited:

thestigmach1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was thinking having an exhaust shop fab all stainless steel y almost t pipe to split it to the two sides then run it out with corsa tips with the variable flap thing so I can close it up and quite down in no wake zones and around a lot of people but open it up when I open up the throttle.I didn't know that I'd have to block of the hole though.And I really really do not want to pull the engine out of that just for exhaust.I love a good sounding engine but not that much