use amsoil or generic brand 80-90w in alpha one lower unit?

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have went to 3 stores no one around here carries quicksilver, any chance i can use amsoil or a different generic brand gear oil for alpha one?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Any quality gear oil will suffice, Hypoid Anti-foaming MIL SPEC 5

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Try an auto parts store and look for some Lucas M8 full synthetic.. But as Bt doc stated any gl5 none foaming oil will work. Personally I like the good stuff when it comes to my leg.

alldodge

Staff member
Have went to 3 stores no one around here carries quicksilver, any chance i can use amsoil or a different generic brand gear oil for alpha one?

If you go to Offshore Only those guys swear by Amsoil extreme gear lube. I have used it before and its great. Still use Merc these days but may switch with current engine rebuild. Also I found that Malwart carries Merc lube, picked up 3 cases last year, great price also

thumpar

Admiral
I buy the Quicksilver at Walmart. All of them around here carry it.

oldjeep

Admiral
Any boat dealer is going to have either the mercruiser or quicksilver oil. What kind of store are you looking for it at?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Ive found a gl-5 gear oil that is cheap and no LS and im going to run it in the volvo out drive this year. I really dont like gear lube stinky sticky and it will do the job. Dirt cheap just no foaming additive's. There that should stir the pot a bit...

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...75w-90&spell=1

11-16-09004.jpg

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
There that should stir the pot a bit...

Ayuh,.... I'm still runnin' Mobil 1, 75W-90 in all the drives I maintain,.....

Quality oil as good as Merc.'s, without the colored dyes,...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

AND minus the sludge that seems to settle out of the Merc stuff!!

Howdy Bill!

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
The sludge is why I switched my last Alpha to Amsoil years ago. I currently run Amsoil in my VP DP

Yeah, neither Mobil 1 or Amsoil seems to have that strange sludge that you can even see in the bottom of the qt bottles...........

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I would like to run that stuff but everything i find has LS in it and i guess that's not advised in a volvo leg...

Bondo

Staff member
I would like to run that stuff but everything i find has LS in it and i guess that's not advised in a volvo leg...

Ayuh,.... LS,..?? Low Smoke,..??

What's Volvo need that's different than say a Bravo,..??

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Ayuh,.... LS,..?? Low Smoke,..??

What's Volvo need that's different than say a Bravo,..??

:D well kinda i guess...Limited Slip additive there is some kind of coating on sx drive's that effect's the cone clutch if you use a LS additive.I assume it causes some kind a chatter so.....while im not a french model i am going to stay away just in case,

Ahh from the Oracle ok i feel better now..http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...p-please/page2

From a couple threads that DonS posted on a long time ago:
Originally posted by Don S View Post
Re: Outdrive Lube issue settled for me

Gl-5 Synthetic, is NOT the same thing as GL-5 Limited Slip Synthetic.

Originally posted by Don S View Post
Re: "LS" Gear Lubes

There have been a couple of posts in the past by members trying to use the LS, and they ended up with drives that had slipping problems. They went back to the oil without the LS additive and it worked fine again. So I guess the answer would beDO NOT use the GL5 Synthetic with the LS additive.

One note, this is for Volvo drives with cone clutches, dog clutches are not a problem.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Hmmmmm,.... I'll have to check the next Mobil 1 bottle,....

Gi, Gl, GI, 'n GL are abit confusin', especially as yer eyesight fails with age,.... :rolleyes: ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Hmmmmm,.... I'll have to check the next Mobil 1 bottle,....

Gi, Gl, GI, 'n GL are abit confusin', especially as yer eyesight fails with age,.... :rolleyes: ;)
Yep...I stopped using Mobil 1 a few years ago when I could find the non LS version anymore. DonS basically clued me into that.